Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JPL
(committed) Wed 24-Apr-13 18:39:58
Print Post

Foxit Reader

[link to this post]

For a few years now I have been using Foxit Reader as my PDF reader. Up to now it has been excellent.

However since the latest update (version 6.0.2.0413) it has become rogue software: it installs additional software that I do not want at all without presenting any option to choose not to, e.g. useless toolbars in Word and Excel. It appears at first glance that these can be deleted, but they return on next starting the application.

Any ideas for a small and simple PDF reader with minimal added functionality?
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 24-Apr-13 18:45:08
Print Post

Re: Foxit Reader

[re: JPL] [link to this post]

I use PDF-Xchange Viewer http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-...
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Apr-13 19:41:22
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

Same here.

Alastair

omadasafisho

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Thu 25-Apr-13 00:11:59
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

I was using Foxit, now removed due to same issue as OP.
Changed it to PDF-Xchange Viewer

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Apr-13 03:20:56
Print Post

Nothing wrong with adobe reader. Just saying I don't understand the need for an alternative. It does the job and it does it brilliantly.
Standard User Sark
(legend) Thu 25-Apr-13 06:12:46
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Nothing wrong with adobe reader. Just saying I don't understand the need for an alternative. It does the job and it does it brilliantly.
I've not used Adobe Reader for years so perhaps it has improved but the two main reasons I looked for something else is that it 1) takes forever to load, and 2) does not support multiple documents open in the same instance (tabbed).

Like the others I recommend PDF-Xchange Viewer.

John.
Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Thu 25-Apr-13 09:01:10
Print Post

It did present the options with regard to the additional bits, I nearly missed it myself, and you can minimise the ribbon bar so that all you see is the menu headers, although I agree with you it doesn't look the same, in fact Ribbon Menus are one of my pet hates, and I wonder why companies go with them.

Bob WRBRIX
BT Infinity 2 - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mbits Actual 76.27/19.69 Mbits @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway+CIX, ADSL1 Nildram, ADSL2 SKY & Be*Unlimited
Standard User JPL
(committed) Thu 25-Apr-13 09:51:50
Print Post

[re: The_Voyager] [link to this post]

Thanks for the suggestions. I shall try PDF-Xchange Viewer, but also may try reinstalling Foxit Reader - maybe preferences can be selected during a new installation. The automatic update offered no options at all - OK for a minor patch, but not appropriate for a major new version.

JPL

Edited by JPL (Thu 25-Apr-13 09:53:49)

Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Thu 25-Apr-13 10:07:59
Print Post

I only have one program that I let auto update, all others, I always download the installer and run that, as that way I always have the latest versions on my NAS if I ever need to do a complete reinstall

To change it back to ordinary toolbars, Menu: View | UI Options | Change Toolbar mode

Bob WRBRIX
BT Infinity 2 - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mbits Actual 76.27/19.69 Mbits @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway+CIX, ADSL1 Nildram, ADSL2 SKY & Be*Unlimited
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Apr-13 10:41:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by JPL:
For a few years now I have been using Foxit Reader as my PDF reader. Up to now it has been excellent.

However since the latest update (version 6.0.2.0413) it has become rogue software: it installs additional software that I do not want at all without presenting any option to choose not to, e.g. useless toolbars in Word and Excel. It appears at first glance that these can be deleted, but they return on next starting the application.

Any ideas for a small and simple PDF reader with minimal added functionality?

strange, it did not install anything for me, but then I don't use Office, which is maybe why it don't.

I still like foxit, been using it like you for years,.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to