Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Apr-13 12:27:30
Print Post

MS Word on Amazon Kindle Fire

[link to this post]

An elderly relation is keen to own an Amazon Kindle Fire tablet because she is finding touch screen devices easier to use than keyboards these days. The Kindle Fire’s primary uses would be general browsing, online banking, and writing articles for local journals. Are the MS Office app and Kindle Fire compatible?
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Apr-13 13:48:14
Print Post

Re: MS Word on Amazon Kindle Fire

[re: ARD] [link to this post]

No, no Microsoft Office products are available on Android devices. There may be an alternative, but I don't own any Android devices, so I've no idea.
Standard User Mikey2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Apr-13 14:09:23
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

You could look at Kingsoft Office (free) as an alternative on the Fire.

Mike
If you have to swallow a frog, try not to think about it. If you have to swallow two frogs, don't swallow the smaller one first.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Apr-13 15:13:18
Print Post

[re: Mikey2] [link to this post]

Thank you both for your replies. I think MS Word is a "must" for a "working" tablet but if my cousin is happy just using it when she's researching a topic or finished work she might still want one.
Standard User Mikey2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Apr-13 16:05:09
Print Post

Sure I read somewhere that MS are looking at an android version for sometime in 2014. She could always try the Kingsoft office free for PC to see if she can work with it before she commits to a tablet, if a "word" app is a must.

Mike
If you have to swallow a frog, try not to think about it. If you have to swallow two frogs, don't swallow the smaller one first.
Standard User undecidedadrian
(member) Thu 25-Apr-13 16:07:27
Print Post

The kindle fire has a closed down marketplace that is controlled by Amazon which may not have all the possible apps avalible as Amazon will decide what they want to sell you.

The Google nexus has access to the whole of the Google play marketplace and I use Office Suite 7 pro which provides word, excel and powerpoint usability.

It is normally paid for but I got it free on a special promotion and may be free in future promotions.

Also the nexus comes in 7inch and 10inch flavours but my wife and myself have a 7inch one each.
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Apr-13 17:15:12
Print Post

[re: undecidedadrian] [link to this post]

Thanks for the tip but my cousin is an elderly person with minimal technical experience. She has a Kindle ereader, loves it, and therefore trusts the brand.
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Apr-13 17:18:07
Print Post

[re: Mikey2] [link to this post]

I thought I'd read the an MS Office app was alread out but obviouslhy it is sometime away. It will probably be 2014 before m cousin make a ddecision anyway...! Thanks smile
  Print Thread

Jump to