Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Apr-13 13:42:39
Print Post

Failed WinXP System Restore

[link to this post]

Due to a problem with Username and Password settings on websites, was suggested that I used System Restore to go back a few days.

Problem now is that although System Restore appeared to go through, after rebooting the mouse cursor is off screen (I can see it at the bottom RH corner until the Task Bar appears) and cannot be moved. I have tried both PS2 and USB mice, same issue.

I have tried Safe Mode, still no mouse cursor.

Have tried getting to System Restore using the keyboard only, cant get there.

Also, cannot now access any my HDDs in that pc from my other networked pc's, whereas normally I can.

Outlook also refuses to start (using just keyboard) because Kaspersky also fails to start, my AV has just been renewed, so likely I tried restore point which was too early.

Looking for my next move??

Thanks!

Clive

"As I hurtled through space towards re-entry at twice the speed of sound the only thought in my mind was that this craft was entirely built by the lowest bidder! Alan Shepard, Astronaut

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Apr-13 14:16:58
Print Post

Re: Failed WinXP System Restore

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
Due to a problem with Username and Password settings on websites, was suggested that I used System Restore to go back a few days.

Problem now is that although System Restore appeared to go through, after rebooting the mouse cursor is off screen (I can see it at the bottom RH corner until the Task Bar appears) and cannot be moved. I have tried both PS2 and USB mice, same issue.

I have tried Safe Mode, still no mouse cursor.

Have tried getting to System Restore using the keyboard only, cant get there.

Also, cannot now access any my HDDs in that pc from my other networked pc's, whereas normally I can.

Outlook also refuses to start (using just keyboard) because Kaspersky also fails to start, my AV has just been renewed, so likely I tried restore point which was too early.

Looking for my next move??

Thanks!
full info on how to use windows without a mouse windows without a mouse or hit TAB ALT & Num lock should bring up the settings ect

As for why mice not working on your system, could be hardware releated, but unlikely, more likely the windows o/s or conflicting s/ware or some form of malware

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 26-Apr-13 14:21:54)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 26-Apr-13 15:11:44
Print Post

may be drifting towards a Repair Install, ideally from an XP SP3 CD.

There are methods for doing a registry restore other than from Windows using bootable CDs which would allow you to choose a different restore point.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Apr-13 15:24:22
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

A repair install had crossed my mind, but am wary of risk to data; although that said as it stands I have data but no access to it...

My pc was built with WinXP Home back in 2003 I still have the MS OEM WinXP disc. I also have later MS OEM WinXP discs for my other home builds and I certainly have a SP2 amongst those.

I'm guessing that for a repair install I need an identical disc to the original build rather than one with a more recent SP on disc. That said, I have MS SP1 SP2 and I think SP3 Service Pack discs.

ISTR that a repair install asks for a password which foxed me previously because I dont use a password to boot.

Grateful for any pointers.

Thanks.

Cheers!

Clive

"As I hurtled through space towards re-entry at twice the speed of sound the only thought in my mind was that this craft was entirely built by the lowest bidder! Alan Shepard, Astronaut

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Apr-13 15:44:23
Print Post

I tried this when I had issues with XP and it helped but don't know if it will be any help for your PC's problems.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/helpcentre/troubleshooting/...

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Apr-13 15:46:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
A repair install had crossed my mind, but am wary of risk to data; although that said as it stands I have data but no access to it...

My pc was built with WinXP Home back in 2003 I still have the MS OEM WinXP disc. I also have later MS OEM WinXP discs for my other home builds and I certainly have a SP2 amongst those.

I'm guessing that for a repair install I need an identical disc to the original build rather than one with a more recent SP on disc. That said, I have MS SP1 SP2 and I think SP3 Service Pack discs.

ISTR that a repair install asks for a password which foxed me previously because I dont use a password to boot.

Grateful for any pointers.

Thanks.

Cheers!
The repair install procedure that i have used ,is the one using the win xp disk, Ithink you will need a disk with the same service pack version as the installed os, To do that i booted from the xp disk, and selected the second repair option,(not recovery console) the one that at first looks like you are going to do a clean install of windows , That shouldn't cause data loss , as it just re writes all or some of the system files, you will probably need to update windows again afterwards, If this doesn't work i think it may be clean install time, as for saving all your data depending on free space on your hdd , you may be able to create a new partition for windows xp to install on to, then delete what files you don't need from your old installation, at least you could then back up any important data on to dvd or external hdd and re formatt the disk and delete the new partition should you wish before doing a clean install linky

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 26-Apr-13 15:49:08
Print Post

if you don't need a password to log in the repair install won't ask for one (if indeed it asks at all, can't remember)

if you have the disk you built it with and don't mind going through the SP installs etc you should be OK. There can be a "gotcha" if it forces you to online activate the copy of XP and it has IE8 installed as XP will assume it has IE6 to do the activation.

This may not arise, and is solveable if it does by manually installing IE8.

I've never lost any user data doing a repair install. An SP3 disc from the same family should work ok, it's the product key bit that goes wrong if you use a VL SP3 CD with an OEM product key etc.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Apr-13 15:59:43
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Thanks Phil

I am away from the pc now,so will try a repair this weekend.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Apr-13 16:00:34
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Thanks tommy45

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Apr-13 16:03:24
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Thanks Apprentice

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to