Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User slippyjim
(experienced) Mon 13-May-13 12:30:13
Print Post

Netbook wifi issue

[link to this post]

Hi,

Acer aspire one ZG5 running XP Home with a strange network problem.
It works fine in the office, works fine at mine but refuses to connect properly at my friends.

All 3 networks use WPA encryption, everyones phone will connect at my friends as does a Sony Win 7 laptop and my Advent netbook running XP Home but only after I manually set the IP Address.

On the problem Acer netbook it says acquiring network address, briefly flashes up Connected then goes back to acquiring network address and eventually Limited or no connectivity.

The wifi code has been checked and doubled checked many times it is definitely being entered correctly.

I have changed the wifi channel from 11 to 6 with no difference.

Any ideas?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-May-13 14:01:00
Print Post

Re: Netbook wifi issue

[re: slippyjim] [link to this post]

Does friend's router have uPnP ON and can it be switched OFF?

How does that compare with other routers?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
Standard User slippyjim
(experienced) Mon 13-May-13 16:45:44
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I am not sure about the uPnP setting at my friends or in the office but it is turned off on my router.

Can turning it off make such a difference?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-May-13 17:11:41
Print Post

It's only a suggestion; suck it & see!

Noticed similar problem behaviour in a Vista laptop when my Netgear router had uPnP ON & my XP PC kept connecting to an "Internet Gateway" Network Connection. Switched it OFF and problem went away on Vista & "Internet Gateway" disappeared on XP.

Look out for an "Internet Gateway" Network Connection on XP.

EDIT: Quick and dirty way of testing for problem at home: Switch uPnP ON on home router, probably reboot PC and see if issue now happens at home.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 13-May-13 17:14:29)

Standard User slippyjim
(experienced) Mon 13-May-13 22:28:23
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I will definitely give it a go, anything is worth a try....
Thanks
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-May-13 16:05:33
Print Post

You may also find that for some reason your laptop may have picked up the wrong authentication scheme for the WiFi connection (you can go into advanced settings on the wifi and look at the settings for the specific wireless network - don't have XP so can't remember the exact route). I have had it where mine has for some reason selected WPA2 rather than WPA or has gone to TKIP for the key security. Double checking these settings as compared to a known working Windows machine may well point to the issue.
Standard User slippyjim
(experienced) Wed 22-May-13 14:37:10
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Well nothing worked, so in the end I tried installing Win7 and it now works fine
thanks for the suggestions
  Print Thread

Jump to