Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-May-13 13:13:52
Print Post

Latest nVidia drivers

[link to this post]

Has anyone else had problems with the latest nVidia drivers (320.18) ? I've had two (so far) complete "hangs" (the display just go black and doesn't recover).

The Event Log system does a marvellous job of not recording what has caused it (bravo Event Log, bravo). However, it both cases I was using Internet Explorer and eBay, so the most obvious solution is not to use Internet Explorer and see if that solves the problem...

As mentioned previously, I do think IE causes far more problems than it should...

Follow me on Twitter. Now with plusnet
Approx 73Mbps download/18Mbps upload
My Blog
12 Things...

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Sun 26-May-13 13:15:21)

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-May-13 13:28:20
Print Post

Re: Latest nVidia drivers

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

Yes. In my case (on Windows 7), IE and Mail kept crashing and some games wouldn't run. The error messages pointed to one of the nVidia dlls and reverting to an earlier driver cures the problem. No issues on Windows 8.
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-May-13 13:29:23
Print Post

Not sure I've got the version right, but I'm running (or Device Manager tells me) 9.18.13.1106, 18/01/2013. I do have problems with in video calls in Skype(V 6.30.105), 10-15 minutes into the call the screen blanks and the whole PC is locked up. can't do a warm reboot, has to be a power off/on reboot. I reckon that tells me the graphics card has crashed and needs reloading. I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

I've not yet had time to play around to investigate or resolve.

Anything similar?

[Edit to add Windows version]

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement

Edited by cheshire_man (Sun 26-May-13 13:30:18)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-May-13 15:25:58
Print Post

Thanks peeps! Like me, your're the greatest!

Apparently it seems to be a very common problem with these drivers (and as really annoyed people on the nVidia forums!). If it does happen again then I'll have to revert to the previous version.

It does seem that driver stability for Windows 8 is not as good as it should be - and it's not as though it's just come out either...

My Blog
12 Things...
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Tue 28-May-13 17:19:01
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Interesting you should mention this as I've had a similar issue and have these drivers too.

I was running Itunes and firefox and all of a sudden the music (which is from CDs imported into the library) started sounding like a stuck CD.

I tried to fire up task manager but couldn't then a few seconds later my mouse pointer froze and had to hit reset on the front of the machine

Using Windows 7 and an EVGA Geforce 550 TI card.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Tue 28-May-13 18:00:44
Print Post

Yes. Driver kept crashing and restarting then I noticed SLI wasn't on. Enabled it and the monitor wasn't recieving a signal. I removed the drivers and rolled back to 314.22

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-May-13 00:01:19
Print Post

[re: kamelion] [link to this post]

I hope they do an update soon - although as I have made sure that IE and eBay weren't being used at the same time, I have had no problems.

My Blog
12 Things...
Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Thu 30-May-13 21:27:38
Print Post

Me too. This Isn't the first time I have been caught out with early adoption of new drivers , but it is the first time there has been such a drastic failure.

Could be worse, could have a radeon tongue

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-May-13 22:17:27
Print Post

+1

I've dropped back to the previous drivers and ran a Skype video call between desktop & laptop last night for 30+ minutes without a problem.

Hopefully at the weekend I'll be able to have a Skype with one of our sons so that will hopefully confirm the improvement;.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 31-May-13 13:32:46
Print Post

Quite true!

My Blog
12 Things...