Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 05-Jun-13 07:51:42
Print Post

Windows 8 tablets will include Office

[link to this post]

During today's Computex keynote, Microsoft Windows chief Tami Reller just announced that new x86 Windows 8 tablets will include Office in the box. The executive didn't detail the software offering, beyond mentioning that Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote will all be included. Windows RT devices, for their part, will now also include pre-installed Outlook, beginning with the Windows 8.1 update, which is due to arrive as a preview version later this month.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Jun-13 12:50:13
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 tablets will include Office

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Will it be possible to remove Office ?

Follow me on Twitter. Now with plusnet
Approx 73Mbps download/18Mbps upload
My Blog
12 Things...
Standard User undecidedadrian
(member) Wed 05-Jun-13 13:34:14
Print Post

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

Also is it just the "trial" versions which then require some money to convert them to the full ones?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Mikey2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Jun-13 13:57:57
Print Post

[re: undecidedadrian] [link to this post]

Or even Office365 (free for a while then pay)

Mike
If you have to swallow a frog, try not to think about it. If you have to swallow two frogs, don't swallow the smaller one first.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 05-Jun-13 14:16:39
Print Post

Tech giant Microsoft has announced that all small x86 tablets to run Windows 8.1 and hit the market in the coming months will be delivered with a free copy of the Office 2013 productivity suite.

Windows CFO and CMO Tami Reller said at Computex Taipei 2013 that all small screen units, including the new Acer Iconia W3, would hit the shelves with a free copy of Office Home and Student 2013 to bring a major advantage to all devices when it comes to productivity.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
(member) Wed 05-Jun-13 14:44:15
Print Post

let me geuss Libre Office is hitting them hard where it hurts?

Especially as it uses docx format as well as odf.

MS has seemed to lost focus on what it is doing and as such is having an anti midas touch at the moment.
Standard User lewisskinner
(newbie) Wed 05-Jun-13 15:21:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Windows RT devices, for their part, will now also include pre-installed Outlook, beginning with the Windows 8.1 update, which is due to arrive as a preview version later this month.

That'll be helpful. I've no idea why MS decided to bundle an email client without support for POP3 out of the box >frown

I am a Plusnet Employee, but my opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent the views of Plusnet Technologies.

Plusnet FTTC Ping
Virgin Media 100Mbps Ping
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Wed 05-Jun-13 21:49:13
Print Post

Libre Office
Is that the same as Open Office?
(member) Wed 05-Jun-13 22:09:05
Print Post

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wingco1:
Libre Office
Is that the same as Open Office?

No Libre Office has come out of the open office project but they have a completely different way they want to run the company being a foundation.

It was created by a team of contributors of openoffice.

I find Libre a lot faster than open and it now supports the MSOffice 2007 and 2010 office formats as well as the odf format that open office uses.

But it is free and so will hurt MS by people using that rather than office.

As I now use win 7 as well as linux I find it very useful now having portability over windows and linux.

Libre office, VLC, Audacity, thunderbird, chrome, etc it is great all I have to do is learn 1 package and it works more or less the same no matter what platform I'm on.

MS I think had better start working out what it wants to do in the near future as protecting propietry file formats is a bit of a dead end I think and they need to work out what they can do to get people to move back to them.
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Jun-13 23:39:12
Print Post

Is Libre as stable as OpenOffice ?

Follow me on Twitter. Now with plusnet
Approx 73Mbps download/18Mbps upload
My Blog
12 Things...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to