Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Fri 05-Jul-13 14:04:34
Print Post

Widows8 + VPN + Network Connection

[link to this post]

When you setup a VPN connection, an entry is created in Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections. From there, a shortcut for that connection can be placed on the desktop.

I tend to establish a VPN connection and then use RDC whenever I wish to access my home computer remotely so my Windows7 laptop has the two icons side by side.

Moving up to Windows8, its a breeze to place the RDC tile on the Start screen but I'm stumped on how to get the Network Icon onto the Start screen. Is it possible and if so how?
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Jul-13 19:44:39
Print Post

Re: Widows8 + VPN + Network Connection

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Why not simply use the RHS charm menu. WindowsKey+C > Settings > Select your wifi/network connection, this then brings up the "networks" side menu which you should be able to connect to the VPN with. A few more clicks but not too bad.

Alternatively to accomplish what I think you want, get the shortcut for the VPN on your desktop, then copy the shortcut to %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\

Then, it will be on the start screen.

At that point, right click the start screen to "show all apps", and simply pin that shortcut to the main start screen.

Zen 8000 Pro
  Print Thread

Jump to