Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Mon 19-Aug-13 20:19:27
Print Post

Windows 8 Pro Media Centre x64 - Clock/Time Issue

[link to this post]

I have copied my post from MSi HQ User Forums and i'm hoping someone can shed some light on these issues as it seems to be messing around with my download speeds or at least it's not showing correctly when running speed tests as it's all over the shop.... I hope you can make sense of the below post (copied) below;

Hi!

I'm having problems with the clock/time under Windows 8 Pro Media Centre x64.

The clock is running twice as fast as it should, 1 normal second is 2 seconds within Windows. So, 5 minutes in real time shows as 10 under Windows :rolleyes_anim:

I have tried stopping the Windows time service and re-registering by using the following DOS commands (Admin Privileges);

net stop w32time
w32tm.exe /unregister
w32tm.exe /register
net start w32time

After a restart it seems to solve the issue but the problem re-appears again once I again restart the system.

I have noticed this issue before and the only change I have made to my system is the RAM ( see following forum post - https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=170548.msg1... ).

As you can see in my post listed above I had to return my RAM as I had (cut a long story short) purchased to Quad Kits and each kit had different revisions, thus one kit (4 sticks) showing as slower/different memory. That problem is now resolved and my RAM has been replaced by Kingston and running as it should. Surely the RAM shouldn't be causing this?

My system is running at stock settings/speeds (not overclocked) and I'm running BIOS version '4.3B2 / 20130605' on the 'MSi X79A GD65 [8D] (MS7760)'.

I've just noticed that the smilies displayed above, where you can select to insert in to your forum post are going mad and the animation is twice as fast also and the cursor which flashes when typing is the same and running at double speed! :confused2:

I just cant think what could be causing this :bonk:

I really do hope someone can help and offer any suggestions on a fix or to troubleshoot.

Many thanks in advance.....

Well, this is odd and thought it's worth mentioning...

If I restart my system the issue disappears and all is normal. However, if I shutdown and then start the system this is when the problem(s) start :think:

Any ideas? I haven't.... :bonk:

Comment Added 0810PM: I've now noticed that website animations are running fast...
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Aug-13 20:38:08
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 Pro Media Centre x64 - Clock/Time Issue

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

I guess someone may have asked this already but when you switch computer on go into BIOS/UEFI and does the clock go fast then?

If so, then not a Windows/OS issue.

I think you absolutely must try removing the RAM sticks or reducing to just 1 and see if this has any effect.

Try removing CMOS battery on your mobo for 30 mins+ for to reset all the settings.

Zen 8000 Pro
(experienced) Mon 19-Aug-13 21:54:50
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

I did search the forum (as I do always) to see if my issue had been experienced by others but nothing was found, so I started this post.

Everything runs fine within the BIOS, no problems whatsoever.

I'll try as you suggested RE: RAM and post back...

Many thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User undecidedadrian
(member) Mon 19-Aug-13 23:30:44
Print Post

I don't know if this is related to your problem but there is a problem in the win 8 real time clock which is reported here today.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/164209-windows-...
(experienced) Tue 20-Aug-13 01:01:12
Print Post

[re: undecidedadrian] [link to this post]

It is the BIOS causing the issue. I switched to BIOS B (1.8) and all is fine, no problems whatsoever but why would this BIOS be causing these issues when earlier versions were fine?
Standard User hypertony
(committed) Tue 20-Aug-13 08:37:38
Print Post

It's the BIOS - check motherboard manf. website to see if there is any latest BIOS firmware for you to download & install.

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
  Print Thread

Jump to