Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User samulam
(committed) Mon 26-Aug-13 10:39:35
Print Post

change email from pop to imap

[link to this post]

Hi, when I upgraded to windows 8 I also installed windows live mail to continue using the old pop account. I have been getting unexplained errors in my pop account so I want to change to imap account.When I try to follow the instructions on windows mail, I am told that it cannot connect to my email account.It would seem that one cannot have pop and imap at the same time.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 26-Aug-13 11:35:23
Print Post

Re: change email from pop to imap

[re: samulam] [link to this post]

in one mail client you would need to create two accounts - one POP3 and one IMAP - as a minimum, but i don't know why you would want to do that as you'll get duplicates.

You should be able to create an imap account providing the server side supports it - what is the mail service ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User samulam
(committed) Mon 26-Aug-13 12:05:38
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I am with Orange who support imap. I do not want to keep two email accounts. I would delete the pop account ( which is giving me errors) and keep the imap only, but Microsoft has complicated this matter in windows 8.Searching for answers seems too complicated.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User undecidedadrian
(member) Mon 26-Aug-13 12:34:07
Print Post

try the EM mail client I found it was extremely good

http://www.emclient.com/

or use thunderbird which is great as it is multiplatform which is what I use now over winows and linux.

personally when I had to set up my parents win 8 mail client I found that it wasn't as good as those free ones.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 26-Aug-13 13:19:59
Print Post

have you tried the native email client in Windows 8 ? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/mail-ap...

It does IMAP and wouldn't be confused by a pre-existing account.

You may have to delete the POP3 instance first if you want to stick with WLM, you haven't said enough about what goes wrong.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Aug-13 16:08:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by samulam:
I am with Orange who support imap.
Where's your evidence for that?

I think you are find you are mistaken. Orange email a/c's are only accessible by POP3 or Webmail.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User samulam
(committed) Mon 26-Aug-13 16:38:08
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

From memory when operated outlook express under windows xp I had the option of either pop3 or imap. I installed windows live mail in windows 7 and carried on using it in windows 8 ( windows 8 does not support pop email). However I am encountering errors which are annoying, so I thought a change to imap may eliminate these errors.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Aug-13 16:50:17
Print Post

Mail clients, like OE and WLM, tend to cater for all access methods that mail servers might employ, but that doesn't mean that all mail servers have to provide all access methods.

It is a matter of configuring your mail client to fit the actual mail server you are trying to read.

You are barking up the wrong tree with this thread. Orange does not provide IMAP access to its mail servers.

Better to investigate the issues that you are having with POP3, which should always work.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to