Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Mon 02-Sep-13 14:28:53
Print Post

File Sharing Windows XP Pro SP1 x64 [Retail]

[link to this post]

Is it illegal to download a copy of Windows XP Pro via uTorrent (P2P) if you own a valid license?

When you purchase Windows, you are only purchasing the license to use the software, I'm assuming its legal...
Standard User The_Jimster
(committed) Mon 02-Sep-13 23:28:55
Print Post

Re: File Sharing Windows XP Pro SP1 x64 [Retail]

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

my understanding (however this may be wrong!!!)
is that the money you pay is basically for the actual serial or key, or volume license etc - as such making a copy or downloading a copy of windows is not a problem, as they all go on the assumption you have a paid for key........

now without the key and using some sort of stolen key or software hack to get round this is a different ball game !
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Sep-13 01:31:04
Print Post

Is there not another source of the media, I wouldnt trust a torrent not to have nasties already in it.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(experienced) Tue 03-Sep-13 16:57:56
Print Post

[re: The_Jimster] [link to this post]

That's exactly what I thought, you purchase the license to use the software and not the software itself.

I've never had a problem with .torrents, as long as you read all of the comments and ensure you select a file with a large amount if seeds then you're usually safe. As with anything downloaded of the .net, always scan with your chosen virus protection.

I'm hoping someone can help with the following without me starting a new post if possible;

I'm creating a Slipstreamed Install Disc of XP PRO x64 which will include all updates, hotfixes and drivers, as you know there are hundreds of these updates and hotfixes. Does anyone know of anywhere online where I can download a complete package of all these updates and hotfixes rather than needing to download all individually?

I've found one source but the bandwidth for that file is extremely low, host must still be on dialup frown

It needs to be x64 and all updates/hotfixes after SP1...

Thanks all smile
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Sep-13 02:40:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by shaneosborne:
It needs to be x64 and all updates/hotfixes after SP1...
Basing it on SP3 will cut the load.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(experienced) Wed 04-Sep-13 12:05:38
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

There is no SP3 for Windows XP PRO x64...
  Print Thread

Jump to