Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zodiac
(committed) Mon 09-Sep-13 14:46:02
Print Post

Win7 or 8 new OS

[link to this post]

I built a pc around 12months ago but have only used linux on it which has not been very often.
I now want to put on a new system.
I am still using XP on my other pc but its starting to show its age ( pc that is).

I am thinking of going with win7 even though its older than 8 which seems to get a lot of bad press. What would you do if upgrading now.

----------------------

If you go out to play keep away from that "MAINE ROAD".
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Mon 09-Sep-13 15:17:11
Print Post

Re: Win7 or 8 new OS

[re: Zodiac] [link to this post]

Windows 7 x64 if your system supports 64bit.

I have Windows 8 and I still can't get use to it, I prefer the old Windows UI. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad but I would go for Windows 7....
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 09-Sep-13 15:17:57
Print Post

is a matter of opinion.

windows 8 is newer, it has certian enhancements such as hyper-v, metro (to some this is an enhancement), IE11 which in turn can play netflix without silverlight, newer directx, better multi monitor support and better touchscreen gui.

Windows 7 will be less of a annoyance factor for you upgrading as its still a 100% desktop OS, has less bugs (in my opinion), less features cut, looks nicer, better gui for mouse, better gui for desktop LED's, faster (from my testing windows 8 is laggier). A fair few windows 8 enhancements do get backported to windows 7 (but press doesnt report it), however expect major ones such as hyperv to never be backported. Native dvd support as well (pulled in windows 8 requires MCE addon).

Microsoft have reverted to kindergarten, by that I mean they are panicing and keep changing their decisions, so what we can expect is frequent OS releases (windows 9 rumoured 2014 release) and possibly also frequent changes of direction market wise, so eg. one could buy windows 8, get used to metro and then its entirely possible microsoft ditch it in windows 9 if they decide its not pulling in the sales.

I am still using windows seven tho I own 2 windows 8 licenses.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM

Edited by Chrysalis (Mon 09-Sep-13 15:20:49)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zodiac
(committed) Mon 09-Sep-13 16:48:45
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

The pc will support 64bit win7 so i am closer to my choice, i will wait for any more replys but win7 64bit is the strong favourite.

----------------------

Standard User captain666
(regular) Mon 09-Sep-13 17:19:02
Print Post

If your want to wait a few weeks until the 17th Of Oct you can see how the new Windows 8.1 looks. I've got windows 8 on 3 machines and haven't found any issues with it. It just takes a little bit of getting used to. Most important thing for me with either Windows 8 or 7 is to set up a shortcut into "God Mode" so you can go through all your settings.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 09-Sep-13 17:43:44
Print Post

[re: captain666] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by captain666:
Most important thing for me with either Windows 8 or 7 is to set up a shortcut into "God Mode" so you can go through all your settings.
Activate God Mode in Windows 8
1. Go to the Desktop
2. Right-click and select New Folder.
3. Right-click on the New Folder and select Rename.
4. Change the name of the folder [just copy & paste the following string]: GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
5. Open the folder and you will find every utility Windows 8 has under the sun.

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Sep-13 17:49:47
Print Post

Windows 8 - can't recommend it highly enough. If you are buying a new system definitely go for Windows 8 to take maximum benefit and performance from your new hardware.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User Zodiac
(committed) Mon 09-Sep-13 19:40:41
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Well the new hardware is just over 12months old but i know what you mean, just reading to many negative's regarding win8 up to now, but still not 100% yet.

----------------------

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Sep-13 21:19:52
Print Post

I have windows 8 on the main desktop, it is fast, stable , boots up and shuts down pretty quick. they are the good things.

The bad things are it looks awful compared to windows 7, no start menu and that silly Metro screen.

The good thing is you can get rid of the silly metro screen and get a nice start menu if that is what you want.

Why do you want to change from Linux?

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro , laptop by Mint

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User Zodiac
(committed) Tue 10-Sep-13 12:07:55
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Just can not get used to it and not sure about firewalls etc if i did any online banking,shopping.

----------------------

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to