Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Sep-13 01:32:55
Print Post

What have you done to Chkdsk, Microsoft ?

[link to this post]

Up until Windows 8, you could see what stage the boot time chkdsk was currently at, and the progress on the current option. However with Windows 8, you just get a percentage - which would be okay if it increased at a steady rate, and it does, up until around 27% - 30%, at which point you then have to wait for 3+ hours before the percentage increases again...

Apparently quite a few people have this problem, with the wait ranging from 3 hours to 5 hours or so (mine was about 3.5).

Aside from the fact that chkdsk is extremely slow (assuming the 5 stage process has been kept, surely it can be sped up), the fact that there is no indication (beyond the circles moving) that shows that the program is working - after all, as you all know from the C64, just because something is animated or flashing doesn't mean the program is working.

Microsoft do seem to have forgotten one cardinal rule : Always keep the user well information about the progress of long operations...

Now with plusnet
My Blog
12 Things...
Twitter
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Sep-13 14:38:39
Print Post

Re: What have you done to Chkdsk, Microsoft ?

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

The real question here is what is wrong with your installation that it needs to run chkdsk at boot time. This should be unnecessary with Windows 8 which can run filesystem checks in the background whilst the volume is online. Repairs may need a restart but should be very quick as the online scan will have logged the necessary repairs.

If chkdsk is running regularly at boot then there must be some other problem with your system. Thinking about it, I have never seen chkdsk run at boot time on my Windows 8 systems.
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Sep-13 02:28:03
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

There is nothing wrong with the system - I forced it into the boot time checking system as it is more thorough than running it in Windows (5 stages instead of 3), with the relevant flags.

The real question is why you didn't think of that smile

Now with plusnet
My Blog
12 Things...
Twitter

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Fri 20-Sep-13 02:36:42)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Sep-13 07:02:21
Print Post

Self-inflicted - fair enough. Microsoft don't recommend boot-time chkdsk in Windows 8. It's like trying to manage memory utilization manually; Windows is better at it than the end-user nowadays.
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Sep-13 10:25:37
Print Post

At times, if the hard drive is locked then you have no choice - it has to be done at boot time.

Boot time is, of course better, as there are better checking options.

Now with plusnet
My Blog
12 Things...
Twitter

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Fri 20-Sep-13 10:26:47)

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Sep-13 10:31:09
Print Post

Re: What have you done to Chkdsk, Microsoft ? (Edited)

if the hard drive is locked then you have no choice
That's not true any more - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/09/redesi...

Edit: As the blog says, the only time that chkdsk needs to be run at boot time is if there is severe corruption. The /r option now includes a physical scan of the disk - hence the long time.

Edited by AEP (Fri 20-Sep-13 10:38:21)

Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Sep-13 10:36:55
Print Post

Q) Will I ever need to run the old chkdsk /f?
There are cases where failing hardware can produce such severe corruption as to make the file system un-mountable; in these cases, you should perform a full, offline chkdsk to fix the file system. If for some reason this fails, we recommend that you restore from a backup.

Q) Is a reboot absolutely required to fix non-system volumes?
No, but the Action Center generally provides the simplest experience. If you’re an advanced user, you can fix non-system volumes by opening the properties of the drive, or by running chkdsk \scan <volume>: and chkdsk \spotfix <volume>: from the command line.

Now with plusnet
My Blog
12 Things...
Twitter
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Sep-13 10:41:49
Print Post

Correct. As I noted in an edit to my previous post, severe corruption may require a boot time run of chkdsk. This includes a physical scan of the disk (hence the long time with large disks). chkdsk /r should not be used in the normal course of events (unless you have plenty of time on your hands).

chkdsk with a physical scan of the disk has always been a lengthy process.
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Sep-13 10:49:57
Print Post

But previous versions kept the user informed to the progress - Windows 8 doesn't beyond a simple percentage with stays at around 27% - some people have been kept at this value for 5 hours...

The hard drive is active, so something is happening - so why not make sure the percentage is updated ?

Now with plusnet
My Blog
12 Things...
Twitter
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Sep-13 11:36:32
Print Post

The hard drive is active, so something is happening
Yes; the disk is being checked for faulty sectors. 5 hours isn't a long time for this with a large hard disk.

I guess Microsoft worked on the assumption that people running chkdsk in this way would be aware what was happening and would just leave it to do its thing. A progress dialog is sometimes a useful indication, but when you are running tools in an "expert" manner you should be aware of what is happening anyway. It's not as if there's anything you can do to speed it up, and cancelling is just going to mean starting over.

To reiterate, it should only be necessary to run chkdsk on boot in extreme circumstances. In all other cases chkdsk is far quicker than on previous versions and there is more chance that it can be done without a reboot.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to