Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 25-Sep-13 10:20:22
Print Post

Lappy gone into hibernate while plugged in?

[link to this post]

Might be more of a H/W question really, but it's a Windows 7 machine, and Windows does the power management, so...

Came down this morning, and had that "eek!" moment, when the computer does not respond at all. Normally, I leave it on 24 hours, and the screen powers down after a few minutes, but the CPU carries on as normal, and it only takes a touch of the trackpad to restore the screen.

This morning, it's all dark and quiet, and unresponsive to the touch.

OK, nothing else for it - power button. It says: "Resuming Windows", so obviously had gone to hibernate - didn't seem like a full boot-up, and no evidence of any crash.

I did use it on battery, up to the final hibernate warning, last night, but put it back on mains before it had actually hibernated, and went to bed.

Obviously, my first thought this morning was: "I can't have plugged it in properly!", but it definitely is plugged in, and not only that, the battery is fully charged.

The only other thing I can think of is that there's been a power cut of which I was not aware, some time during the night, that caused it to hibernate - but it's restored to full charge this morning.

This is the first time I've ever had this. Is it a bad omen something's going wrong with the machine (which is still under warranty), or do you reckon there's just been a power cut?

T.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Sep-13 10:28:44
Print Post

Re: Lappy gone into hibernate while plugged in?

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

I'd tend to go for the power-cut theory unless it happens again. Or possibly, if you had reached the final warning, it did hibernate because the battery was below the threshold and hadn't recharged enough by the time it timed out. I certainly wouldn't be concerned unless it starts doing it consistently. It doesn't sound like a hardware fault.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 25-Sep-13 10:40:11
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

I thought the same as you, initially - i.e. had gone past the point of no return, by the time it was plugged in, and proceeded to hibernate anyway. But that makes no sense, because why would it ever hibernate, once it has detected mains power? From that point, it doesn't care how low the battery has got - it's not using it; it's on mains. So I pretty much discounted that theory.

I don't think I've got anything around the house, any more, that would tell me if there's been a power cut. Certain gadgets used to have mains-powered clocks, that would get out of sync if the power had been out. But now, I don't think I've got any that aren't either self-setting, or have emergency battery back-up, so there's nothing I can look at to confirm: "Yes, that was it!" The computer's the only clue that anything might have happened.

T.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Sep-13 10:42:08
Print Post

I wonder if the system log would tell you when it hibernated? That might give a clue as to the cause.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Sep-13 11:58:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by TLM:
Certain gadgets used to have mains-powered clocks, that would get out of sync if the power had been out.
Boiler controller or microwave?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 25-Sep-13 12:07:18
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

It appears the system entered "sleep state" about ten-to-six this morning, but the reason cited is: "system idle", not: "power conservation", or similar. The system should not have been idle, because I am permanently running SETI (geeky, I know), so it's always trundling away at something, in the background.

If there has been some kind of failure at SETI, it sometimes runs out of work, but I've checked the SETI logs, and there are tasks still in progress, as well as sufficient for several more days, so there's no way it could have run out and been idle, during the night.

There are a number of power-related warnings spanning a period of about 12 minutes from when I first restored it from hibernate this morning, but very odd ones. They report that the speed of the processors (four of them) is being restricted "by firmware". This may be perfectly legitimate, to prevent overheating (it's doing some pretty heavy crunching at the moment). I can't find anything else about this particular warning - Microsoft's online event lookup doesn't find anything. A scan back through recent logs doesn't show it as having happened again in the recent past - haven't been back through all of them, to check if it ever did.

T.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 25-Sep-13 12:12:08
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

No, the boiler controller has battery backup, so doesn't reflect power outages unless they were very long - more than a few hours. And the microwave clock doesn't work. That is, it can still time the cooking alright - just the display packed up. Wasn't worth replacing the microwave just for that. I didn't really use it anyway (except to check for power outages! blush)

T.
Standard User TimJ
(committed) Wed 25-Sep-13 12:58:50
Print Post

The router logs might give a clue about power cut

Are you signed up to Broadband Quality Monitor?

That would show if you had had a power cut.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 25-Sep-13 13:31:07
Print Post

[re: TimJ] [link to this post]

I don't think, from the Windows event logs, there has been a powercut. It seems to suggest it hibernated because it was bored, rather than because it was out of juice - which doesn't really make any sense, as it had lots of processing tasks to be getting on with.

I'm not signed up to Quality Monitor. The router event log appears only to show events that have happened in the last few minutes, which unfortunately did include a brief (unrelated) outage, so I can't even tell from connection uptime whether it went down during the night at all. It shows it as having been "up" for just six minutes - which is true, but no help at all re anything that happened in the night.

The logs all seem to be immediate past only. I can't find anywhere it lets you look back even as far as yesterday.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 25-Sep-13 14:42:44
Print Post

I am pretty sure win7 on a laptop will default power save even when plugged in as I remember turning it off.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to