Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Oct-13 12:59:47
Print Post

Windows 8.1

[link to this post]

So, who else is busy downloading the update ?

Now with plusnet
My Blog
12 Things...
Twitter
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Oct-13 13:10:36
Print Post

Re: Windows 8.1

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

Let the lemmings do it first.
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Oct-13 13:19:01
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Fair enough.

At 3.62GB it does seem to be rather... small... for what was needed to upgrade Windows 8.

It's also odd that it is being done through the Store - I suppose to stop those with "invalid" copies...

Now with plusnet
My Blog
12 Things...
Twitter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Oct-13 13:22:05
Print Post

I can't remember exactly what size Windows 8 was, but that sounds to be much the same.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Oct-13 14:23:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrTAToad2:
It's also odd that it is being done through the Store - I suppose to stop those with "invalid" copies...

Perhaps so, but don't be too quick to judge, because I am logged in with a local account (not a microsoft account etc) and it is letting me download Windows 8.1. I think the back-end transfer technologies in the store are similiar to that used by Windows Update so it is the logical place to put it. Also, if it was done via Windows Update it would cause a problem for corporate customers who use WSUS (especially if they had it on auto-approve!)

The size is roughly the same as Windows 8 was...

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Oct-13 14:34:01
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Quite possible there.

It takes a loooong time to install (half an hour on my machine) and so far 45 minutes on my Dad's...

Microsoft seem to have gotten rid of the Windows Experience Index which is a shame - but then I suppose few people actually used it.

The default Windows theme (of various shades of orange) is a bit garish - and they have removed the default backgrounds too, which is a shame.

The new look charms will take a bit of getting used to but they do look better.

Mail is still limited (cant request read receipts).

Overall, its rather nice

Now with plusnet
My Blog
12 Things...
Twitter
Standard User idb
(committed) Thu 17-Oct-13 14:58:22
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Hint: smile

When you install 8.1 it will try to insist that you sign on with an e-mail account. Just put a dummy, but valid, e-mail address in with any old password and continue. It will then say something like "there is an error with that e-mail address" and asks if you want to continue without using one - i.e. using a local account.

I now remember having to do it with the pre-release, but it stumped me for a couple of minutes just now.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 17-Oct-13 15:44:46
Print Post

the official reason for ditching the WEI is they feel its not relevant, people dont use it etc.

I suspect its more to do with them focusing on touch devices tho and WEI on a tablet/phone is likely to get horrible scores. Especially on the underpowered microsoft surface smile

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Oct-13 15:55:32
Print Post

[re: idb] [link to this post]

True - but I might as well use my Microsoft account, otherwise I would have wasted time creating it smile

Now with plusnet
My Blog
12 Things...
Twitter
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Oct-13 16:17:24
Print Post

[re: idb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by idb:
Hint: smile

When you install 8.1 it will try to insist that you sign on with an e-mail account. Just put a dummy, but valid, e-mail address in with any old password and continue. It will then say something like "there is an error with that e-mail address" and asks if you want to continue without using one - i.e. using a local account.

I now remember having to do it with the pre-release, but it stumped me for a couple of minutes just now.

Hmm. This didn't happen to me, but then I already created a local account...

Took ages to install on my oldish PC (over 1 hour), but its up and running now and working perfectly.

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Thu 17-Oct-13 16:19:01)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to