Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Sun 17-Nov-13 11:04:06
Print Post

How to safely continue using XP after April 2014???

[link to this post]

I still have 3 OLD desktop PCs, using only single-core AMD CPUs, installed with Windows XP Pro OS. I aware that Microsoft is going to stop supporting their Windows XP from about April 2014, but I have NO plans to upgrade these 3 pcs due to a) money issues & b) these PC's HW are too old and would not give me a satisfactory performance even I prepared to spend money upgrading their OSs to Windows 7/8.
I know there are other OS related S/W risk issues, which can only be rectified by upgrading to a newer Windows OSs such as Windows 7/8, but could I be continuing using XP with these PCs after that cutoff date from April 2014 IF a) I installed with a full-version of anti-malware S/W like Malwarebytes, and b) switched off my said PCs inter-networking ability, but still allowing individual internet access?? Alternatively my other option is changing the OSs of these PCs to the FREE Linux?? However for these Linux OS , would it offer an alternative Internet Browser as good as Firefox, which is what I'm now using and what about the Linux's S/W driver supports issues???
Thanks in advance

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows XP Pro

O2 Standard ADSL2+ Broadband but moved to Plusnet unlimited fibre since this May!!!

Edited by OCdragon (Sun 17-Nov-13 11:06:23)

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Nov-13 11:48:20
Print Post

Re: How to safely continue using XP after April 2014???

[re: OCdragon] [link to this post]

Linux offers a browser every bit as versatile as Firefox - it's called Firefox. And Linux has few driver issues unless you have very esoteric hardware. You should experience less problems with Linux than with XP.

As for safely using XP after support ceases, I believe the only way to do so is to not connect to the Internet and to install no new software. The problem is that Microsoft will reveal security holes in XP in the form of patches supplied for later versions of Windows, but they will not fix those holes. It will be a field day for the bad guys. But I can't blame Microsoft; support has to cease at some stage, it has been well documented, and they need to keep updating current versions of Windows.
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Sun 17-Nov-13 12:05:10
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Thank you for your reply!
Would my existing Windows XP Pro OS support installation of Linux's OS and then I can multi-boot to either Linux or XP as I wanted??? That is, just install my chosen Linux's Distribution in my existing PCs which have already installed with Windows XP Pro in them???
Thanks

O2 Standard ADSL2+ Broadband but moved to Plusnet unlimited fibre since this May!!!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Nov-13 12:16:30
Print Post

That is certainly possible. You would need to repartition the hard disks and then install Linux in is own partition. All fairly easily done with free tools. (But you really need to back up anything important before messing with partitions, just to be safe.) Linux would be able to see the Windows partition, but not the other way round.

If you Google "dual boot" you should find quite a lot of information.

An alternative, in the short term, is to boot Linux from a live CD. This let's you check out different distributions before committing to an install. But it's a lot slower than a proper install, so not good as a permanent solution.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Nov-13 12:56:24
Print Post

Antivirus products will continue to be supported and release definitions after April 2014 - continue using one of them, use a good firewall, and perhaps switch to an alternative up-to-date browser like firefox, and you can continue using XP without problems.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Nov-13 16:03:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by AEP:
This let's you check out different distributions before committing to an install. But it's a lot slower than a proper install, so not good as a permanent solution.

Slightly different tack - any suggestions for which "flavour" of Linux?

I've recently got a new PC - hence I was thinking of converting my old PC to Linux in order to get familiar with it!

I should add that I have NO experience of Linux whatsoever!

Regards,
John
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Nov-13 16:09:12
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

My favourites for a beginner would be Fedora and SuSE. (You wouldn't like my real favourites.) Ubuntu, and it's derivatives, are very popular but I don't like them - they seem, to my mind, to follow the Windows / OS X philosophy too closely.

For an older machine you would get best performance by using the XFCE desktop rather than the "fatter" ones like Gnome, Unity, or KDE. But, if you want a flasher desktop, KDE is my favourite.

PS. If you have no Linux/Unix experience then it's well worth getting at least one book on the subject; you'll get a lot more out of it that way.

Edited by AEP (Sun 17-Nov-13 16:11:25)

Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Nov-13 16:56:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by AEP:
PS. If you have no Linux/Unix experience then it's well worth getting at least one book on the subject; you'll get a lot more out of it that way.

Ta!

Have just ordered:- 'Linux In Easy Steps 5th Edition' by Mike McGrath

Regards,
John
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Sun 17-Nov-13 17:05:28
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Well, I may try both! That is, when I am surfing with MS Windows XP Environments alternative Firewall for both downstreams & upstreams, better anti-wares S/W rather than relying on MS's SE could be used, and be very careful about my clicks when getting on internet. Certainly I will try multi-boot to Linux Environment as well for more serious internet surfings, however, is there any good & free anti-malwares & Firewall apps for Linux, just in case???

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Nov-13 17:12:10
Print Post

You're worried too much, XP isn't going to get suddenly insecure even if people do start reverse-engineer patches for newer OS and try and attack XP. AV and firewall and common sense and you'll be fine for a good few years.

Zen 8000 Pro
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to