Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User colic
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Nov-13 22:25:35
Print Post

Virtual Server?

[link to this post]

OK... I have no idea what I need!

I have a friend who has a business and he works from home and his partner works at a different house. What they want is a what I call a virtual server or from google a VPN? So they can access a files with each other and then for example one person saves a file then the other person accesses the file they will see the updated doc, or when they try and access the file when someone is in the file it warns the other user. So this is like when I am on my network at work when I try and access a file when someone is in it, it will not allow me to save the document.

The two people are not massively technically minded, but are more then competent on a windows machine. I would say I have good technical ability in the sense I have my own websites and use cpanel / ftp etc so I am sure I can set things up and help them out.

Could anyone recommend what is needed?

Thanks
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 26-Nov-13 22:42:02
Print Post

Re: Virtual Server?

[re: colic] [link to this post]

I will temporarily assume the role of the Devil and suggest: For the sake of sharing documents etc, just use a cloud service like Google docs or SkyDrive.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Nov-13 07:02:28
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
I will temporarily assume the role of the Devil and suggest: For the sake of sharing documents etc, just use a cloud service like Google docs or SkyDrive.

Based on my understanding of the OP's requirements, I would second that!

Whether he chooses these specific services (because of the alleged "prying") is another question - although there are a number of "Cloud" services to choose from!

Regards,
John

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Nov-13 08:25:31
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

And add dropbox, BT Vault and Amazon cloud drive. All have different storage and pricing models but could meet the need.

The other options if wanting to go full collaboration would be a service like Micorosft SharePoint Online starting at £2 a month per user. Or Huddle (although that seems more expensive).

Disclaimer: Other products and services are available
  Print Thread

Jump to