Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 18-Jan-14 06:42:31
Print Post

Malicious software tool

[link to this post]

In Win 8 how can I access the Malicious Software Removal Tool log file? My antivirus tells me that I had a Trojan which it removed. This was about 20 minutes after installing the latest MSRT via Windows Update, so I'd like to see if that detected the Trojan too. If it did and it wasn't zapped, what's the point of it? I hadn't used the internet in those 20 minutes.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
IE10 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 18-Jan-14 09:11:13
Print Post

Re: Malicious software tool

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

The log file is in %WINDIR%\debug folder

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 18-Jan-14 12:32:49
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Cheers. 'No infection found'. So why didn't it find the Trojan? The name of the file my Antivirus found was 'Downloader' something and I just wonder if there was something hanging about after I'd done a manual Windows Update. Anyway, I've done a Malwarebytes scan plus my own antivirus check, (MacAfee) and zilch, so I'm safe.

8GB RAM
IE10 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Jan-14 14:47:13
Print Post

Because the malicious software tool detects only widespread viruses which have been causing the most trouble over the past month or whatever.... That has the way it has always been, that is the whole point of it.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 19-Jan-14 09:34:02
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

I wonder how many people don't bother scanning their computer periodically because they think that it's done every month by Microsoft. I disabled automatic scanning via MacAfee as it slowed everything down. but I still do a manual sweep every month or so. I still think that the 'Downloader' virus alert was caused by my manual download of the January updates, by the way. Too much of a coincidence.

8GB RAM
IE10 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Jan-14 13:39:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by GeoffB:
I wonder how many people don't bother scanning their computer periodically because they think that it's done every month by Microsoft.

Not many I would have thought, in fact this is probably the first post I've seen on a forum ever about the malicious software scanner, most people don't notice it. It should go without saying it isn't a realtime scanner, also the description does make it pretty clear it just checks for only specific malware if you read the KB article.

If you want a nice lightweight scanner I can recommend GFI Vipre or Microsoft Security Essentials. (assuming you're not running Windows 8).

Like you say though as long as you are careful, there is a very good chance you will manage fine without an Antivirus.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Jan-14 13:43:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
If you want a nice lightweight scanner I can recommend GFI Vipre or Microsoft Security Essentials. (assuming you're not running Windows 8).
Is it - or Defender -included? Or is there another reason?

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Jan-14 13:56:54
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Indeed smile In Windows 8 Windows Defender is included (which is effectively security essentials renamed) and is a full anti virus program, so security essentials isn't needed.

Be careful though if you buy a PC from PCWorld or something and then uninstall the 30 day trial of McAfee or Norton or whatever, the uninstallers of those products have a nasty habit of not re-enabling Windows Firewall and Windows Defender for you, so you are left with 0 protection until you reconfigure them - usually the action centre will popup to tell you though.

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Sun 19-Jan-14 13:58:45)

Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Jan-14 16:19:12
Print Post

Thanks for the warning, though I haven't bought a PC from the likes of those places. However people who ask me to help set up their systems may well have done, so it's a useful warning, thank you.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 19-Jan-14 22:54:13
Print Post

Windows Uninstall cannot properly delete McAfee and Norton. It leaves loads of stuff lying around, and i'm not sure some of it doesn't remain active.

Both of them have downloadable deletion tools which do a much better job of it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to