Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Timalay
(experienced) Sun 19-Jan-14 11:04:57
Print Post

XP query

[link to this post]

Not an issue as such. But I am thinking of getting a new laptop soon. Anyway I have a Netbook with Windows XP at the moment. Would there be a way to uninstall XP from my Netbook, and install it alongside Windows 8, on the laptop for free.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Jan-14 11:31:06
Print Post

Re: XP query

[re: Timalay] [link to this post]

No. The XP on your netbook will be an OEM version and will only work on the original hardware. It can actually be quite difficult to install XP on modern equipment; it's really not a good idea to keep using such an ancient OS, particularly if you connect to the Internet.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Jan-14 12:33:25
Print Post

Yes, I did it from an article in the magazine PC Answers Issue 140 of Dec 2004 entitled 'Combine Service Pack 2 and other updates into your Windows XP CD'. I'm sure you can find similar by Googling 'Slipstreaming XP'.

You can find an OEM Product key in the file OOBEINFO.INI.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Jan-14 14:01:36
Print Post

You will probably find this is not possible because if you buy a new laptop it will use AHCI and UEFI SecureBoot technologies, amongst other things, both of which a normal installation of Windows XP will not be able to cope with.

You would be better getting a Windows 8 Pro machine and installing the Hyper-V feature and running Windows XP in that, but again, license considerations mentioned in other posts.

Zen 8000 Pro
  Print Thread

Jump to