Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Feb-14 19:37:35
Print Post

Windows Updates Kill fast loading times on xp

[link to this post]

Today i downloaded the critical updates from Microsoft ,on my PC running WIN XP SP3 after restarting i found that it was taking several MINS to load windows
It would pause/hang at the wellcome screen then again on my desktop background, before loading fully
This happens some time ago just after i re installed the o/s related to net framework and it's start up so i already had the cure called Net framework 4 Start up fix , so i ran that and restarted the pc to test, and it loaded windows normally in seconds without the delay, just a heads up for anyone else who is having the same issues,

the official responce from MS
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Feb-14 19:49:48
Print Post

Re: Windows Updates Kill fast loading times on xp

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Not being funny but I can't see any official response from Microsoft on that post confirming a problem.

Any time a .NET framework update is installed Windows will be slightly slower for a few minutes as the .NET components are recompiled, i.e., mscorsvw.exe in task manager.

Is it possible you just didn't give it chance to sort itself out after the updates?

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Feb-14 19:52:47
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Installed the update on my dual boot machine, no slow down.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13914...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Feb-14 21:32:02
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

How many times are we expected to reboot our machines for an update to work? the same nonsense occurred after i installed net framework 4 following a re install, i rebooted several times, even put up with it until i found the fix for it, and until i installed this latest update today, load times where fine, so after a few reboots, i ran the fix file again, and after it had finished it loads up without hanging for several minutes
It probably doesn't affect everyone either, just like most sofware bugs don't
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Feb-14 22:05:06
Print Post

You should update from your obsolete OS. I've had no problem with updates on Windows 7 or 8. They just work.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Feb-14 23:05:21
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

No point, the games i play are dx9 and the in game sounds are broken in win7 my on board sound card driver vendor's solution sound back doesn't do anything to improve the issue, Besides i like being in control not microsoft
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Feb-14 00:02:05
Print Post

No problem here on XP SP3 but for some reason I had no .NET Framework 4 updates, just these:
- Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2898856)
- Security Update for Windows XP (KB2909210)
- Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 SP3 on Windows XP Tablet PC and Media Center (KB2904878)
- Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP (KB2909921)
- Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - February 2014 (KB890830)
- Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2901111)
- Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2836941)
- Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.165.3774.0)
- Security Update for Windows XP (KB2916036)

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Feb-14 07:46:54
Print Post

At least you won't have to worry about Windows Updates for much longer. You'll have better things to worry about. wink
  Print Thread

Jump to