Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 18-Feb-14 13:55:55
Print Post

Has Facebook hide stopped working?

[link to this post]

Not really a Windows issue - at least, I guess not - but has this stopped working?

At least three times today, I've tried to permanently banish the same shared spam of a campaign to stop the drinking game, Neknomination.

It's not that I don't sympathise with the sentiment. It's just that neither I, nor anyone I know would be involved with this idiotic and dangerous game in the first place, so there is absolutely no point including me in a campaign to stop it, or asking me to share that campaign with friends, who also wouldn't be involved with the game, or in a position of influence over anyone that was.

So three times I've said I don't want to see it, and it goes. But each time I revisit Facebook, it's back again. It hasn't been reposted - just the "hide" wasn't permanent, for some reason.

I suppose I should be thankful it's nothing worse. Sometimes quite offensive things appear in my news feed, from people who are not close friends, and whose views I don't share, but who have nevertheless been good to me in the past. I sometimes have a fit when I see these posts, and hide them immediately, as I wouldn't like other friends - who'd be horrified - to think I go along with them.

If I have no way of hiding these offensive and hatred-inciting posts any more, I shall have no choice but the nuclear option of "unfriending" the so-called friend. I don't mind hearing about her pets, family, holidays etc. - I just don't want her political views.

If I can't hide them any more, that's a bit of a problem.

T.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Feb-14 20:59:28
Print Post

Re: Has Facebook hide stopped working?

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

It's been like that for ages.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 19-Feb-14 23:22:40
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Not for me it hasn't. Pretty sure I could hide stuff up until the last couple of days. I use Facebook Purity to purge stuff I personally don't want to see but that only hides them from my browser - not from others who look at my timeline.

The same "friend" who periodically posts the offensive stuff also posts about every missing or stolen dog, cat, child or vehicle from here to John O' Groats.

No, I haven't seen them. No, it's very unlikely I would have seen them. No, I probably wouldn't recall if I had. No, I almost certainly don't mix in any circles who would have inside information.

Yeah, I know it's somebody's cherished pet or cherished car (it's only very rarely a person). But I'm not going to have any information to pass to police, so what's the point of filling my newsfeed with this tripe all the time?

I expect if I wanted a continual update about all unsolved crimes for which public help is sought, I could subscribe to some kind of police newsfeed.

It's driving me nuts!

Have you seen this bl**dy dog?

T.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sark
(legend) Thu 20-Feb-14 07:53:13
Print Post

I use Facebook Purity to purge stuff I personally don't want to see but that only hides them from my browser - not from others who look at my timeline.

Unless you are explicitly tagged in a post it won't appear in your timeline, it only appears in your newsfeed which is only visible to you. If you are being tagged in offensive posts you can go into Settings->"Timeline and Tagging" then there are various settings to control the visibility of posts and tagged posts on your timeline.

John.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Thu 20-Feb-14 23:24:43
Print Post

[re: Sark] [link to this post]

No, I'm not being tagged in them, or even mentioned, thank goodness. Let's just say she's sharing material from political organisations I want nothing to do with, and wouldn't even want it to be thought I had anything to do with - and I don't mean the Labour Party.

I lived next door to her for years, without having the faintest idea of her political inclinations. We did good turns for each other, and politics never came up. I went to her wedding, babysat her children, looked after her house and pets while she was away etc.

She only looked me up again recently, after rediscovering the old wedding photos. I expected it to be fairly innocuous to accept a friend request from a neighbour from years back, but didn't expect to be subjected to all this hate speech (not directed at me).

It's bad enough that I can see it, but I was paranoid that others also can, and draw erroneous conclusions that I go along with it - so thanks for reassuring me on that one.

I used to be able to hide just the offensive posts, but now it seems I have only the blunt instrument of "unfollowing" her altogether, which would mean I wouldn't get the benign updates about family and life events.

She's not singling me out because she assumes I agree - she's just doing a "share", which of course goes to all her contacts - of which she has many. I wonder if the majority are fine with it, or cringing, just like me?

T.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Feb-14 16:44:24
Print Post

I haven't seen the "Hide" option for ages. What I see is "I don't want to see this" but it just keeps coming back after a refresh and has done so for a month or so.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sat 22-Feb-14 01:03:45
Print Post

Must have been a gradual roll-out, only reaching me in the last few days. It seems to be the new thing now - i.e. that we have less control over what we actually see, and only have the option to "unfollow" - which is less contentious than "unfriend", because they'll never know - but doesn't let us pick and choose which particular content of theirs we'd like to see or not.

I notice that even if you opt to "take a survey to improve news feed", it now only asks you whether you thought the post was trying to sell you something - not whether you liked it, or were even interested. Most of the posts that are getting on my nerves are nothing to do with selling anything. They're just promoting views I find objectionable (but not appealing for money), or news that doesn't fit my idea of news ("Please everybody, look out for this stolen car!")

Periodically appeals to find rapists and child-molesters, too. I suppose those who post them think they're doing a public service, but I'm not sure they don't just encourage vigilantism, and that some poor so-and-so won't get their head kicked in, because they happen to bear a passing resemblance to a suspect.

I don't honestly know what I'd do if I had seen someone I thought might fit the bill. Would I report it, or think: "I'm most likely mistaken, and anyway, it's none of my business"?

T.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sat 22-Feb-14 14:18:43
Print Post

Oddly, it's started working again this morning, AND clicking "I don't want to see this" results in it staying away for good, this time.

Thank goodness, as I just got yet another pointless lost dog story!

Kill it with fire! (The story, not the poor dog).

T.
  Print Thread

Jump to