Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User smiffy12
(experienced) Tue 25-Mar-14 19:29:41
Print Post

Outlook 2013 and Virgin.net

[link to this post]

Hi, I don't think my issue us related to Virgin.net as such. I have a laptop and desktop. I access my virgin.net email on both using outlook and POP3. I know that IMAP is the norm for this but, having used outlook 2003 for years I never had a problem. Thing is, now with 2013, if I've downloaded emails on the desktop, they don't come into the laptop. They used to. I've looked in the settings and both machines are set to never delete mail from the server. I'm wondering id theres a setting in 2013 somewhere that stops emails being downloaded to a second machine of viewed on a different machine. I'd like to switch this off if possible. Any thoughts anyone? As far as I know I don't have any settings set other than standard defaults. I haven't manually set any filters or anything.

Fingers crossed and thank you for looking
Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Wed 26-Mar-14 22:07:57
Print Post

Re: Outlook 2013 and Virgin.net

[re: smiffy12] [link to this post]

I have a couple of old free dial-up virgin/ntl email addresses that weren't migrated to Google, if I use POP3 (from pop.virgin.net) to download the email it is then deleted - by the server not client

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed

Edited by Kenneth (Wed 26-Mar-14 22:08:34)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Mar-14 22:15:58
Print Post

[re: Kenneth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kenneth:
it is then deleted - by the server not client
That's cuz the client instructs the server to delete it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Thu 27-Mar-14 18:03:19
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by Kenneth:
it is then deleted - by the server not client
That's cuz the client instructs the server to delete it.

Same settings on other profiles (non-virgin) don't delete emails, I am not even sure the client has option to delete email on download automatically as it is just a program to monitor and preview pop3 accounts - - Popcorn. I think when Virgin changed servers to do it automatically when they outsourced the email to google.

Ken

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Mar-14 19:41:14
Print Post

[re: Kenneth] [link to this post]

Ah, an imcomplete mail client! Cuz it only d/loads into RAM it won't be deleting anything anywhere and won't be issuing the POP3 DELE command ever.

Not much comparison to Outlook mail clients.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Thu 27-Mar-14 21:08:42
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Not much - it just seemed to be exhibiting similar issues on Virgin servers to what OP was seeing, so could be a configuration issue based on which server being used to pull mail

Ken

Print Thread

Jump to