Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Thu 03-Apr-14 21:13:05
Print Post

The Start Menu is Dead

[link to this post]

Long live the start Menu!

It seems Satya Nadella is wasting little time reversing Bulmer's catastrophic 'innovations'.

Des

Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7, Hate and 8 rhyming is not an accident!

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Apr-14 21:21:39
Print Post

Re: The Start Menu is Dead

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

Sinofsky... not Ballmer.

Who cares, it's a start menu, I spend 0.1% of my time on the computer (if that) in the start menu. I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about.

Hopefully it will be enough to convince ignorant users that Windows 8 is good after all, but most intelligent people knew that all along! Does this really mean, let's assume Microsoft do bring this back, what will be the next thing to criticise Windows 8 on? Probably lack of Aero or something...

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Thu 03-Apr-14 21:24:01)

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Apr-14 13:22:47
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

What's good about Aero, does it make users more productive?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 04-Apr-14 19:43:29
Print Post

"Windows fanboi refuses to acknowledge Windows issue / drawback / problem / fault / bug" - Shocker! wink

If you're an employee declare it. If not, please stop defending companies that don't deserve it. They need more criticism if lacking. The Start menu may or may not be a good thing per se, but to reject it because you don't use it is narrow minded.

Oh and not criticising them for one as an excuse to not criticise them on something else? Come on!
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-Apr-14 07:08:00
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

I don't like the tiles on the start screen, so having them in a start menu is no better. If it is possible to get away from the Modern UI look then fine, other wise may as well stay with the menu i use.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 05-Apr-14 12:04:22
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

They did a similar thing with Office 2007 in that they got rid of the old DD menus in favour of a 'ribbon', which played hell with productivity. Great for the training sector, I'll bet.

I say keep the menu and if necessary make it an on/off option.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-Apr-14 12:17:30
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

I am simply highlighting the sheer stupidity of the whole "Windows 8 is rubbish" "Microsoft making U turn" articles which revolve purely around a little feature called the start menu/screen and what Microsoft are doing with it. It is totally ridiculous!

If Microsoft bring the start menu back, depending how, I may use it on my desktop OS (I certainly won't on my Surface unless it is superior with touch screen also), but either way it doesn't matter. The start screen is excellent technology in the fact it works fine on Desktop, Server, Gaming, and Touchscreen/Handheld platforms.

I learnt very quickly to cope with it, there is no reason why anyone else shouldn't be able to either. Microsoft offer the taskbar and keyboard as other ways to launch programs, there is no need to dismiss a whole OS because something rather minor has changed.

I don't work for Microsoft...

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 05-Apr-14 15:01:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
I learnt very quickly to cope with it, there is no reason why anyone else shouldn't be able to either.

That applies to anything, and as with anything opinions vary.

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Microsoft offer the taskbar and keyboard as other ways to launch programs, there is no need to dismiss a whole OS because something rather minor has changed.

I don't work for Microsoft...

I didn't dismiss the whole OS, but I equally don't dismiss others' negative opinions of something. If there are negative opinions, we should ask why.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Apr-14 22:14:33
Print Post

But you might work for a Microsoft partner.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-Apr-14 23:38:12
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
But you might work for a Microsoft partner.

I don't.

Zen 8000 Pro
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to