Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Apr-14 23:40:15
Print Post

Re: The Start Menu is Dead

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
I get it, you like touch

Not really... I'm happy to take it though if its not too much more expensive. For the moment though, I use a keyboard and mouse 99.5%+ of the time, if not more.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-Apr-14 10:18:28
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Tweaking is also altering a system by addition of external software in order that it performs in the way the end user wants.

We know MS can't include every person's wish but if most of the world is used to "starting" programmes in a certain way and have been for years, why change that?

We haven't all got the mental capability to remember the first letter of infrequently used prog's in order to type into a search facility.

If you can be bothered to sit down and spend a few hours learning a new OS then good for you but IMHO the only people that gain are the MS partners who carry out the training of end users.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User pcologist
(learned) Thu 10-Apr-14 13:57:37
Print Post

Totally agree with you 100% on that one.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Apr-14 16:11:41
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I just applied the update and now my PC boots to desktop.
It just gets better and better laugh

Maybe I too will look at upgrading to Win8.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 10-Apr-14 16:55:43
Print Post

by the way how do you access wifi settings on 8.1?

Just read this comment on the register

What they also need to understand is that it's not just the Start menu, or the desktop, or the Metro bit, it's all those little subtle things they messed around with that just get in the way of the user.

Under the skin is a very good operating system and things like the Task Manager tease with what could have been.

But some of the changes are just stupid - why (for example) did the Wifi management get removed in 8.1? It makes life difficult and there's no obvious reason for it! Needing to drop back to the command line or drilling into the adapter settings just to change a password is a real backwards step and completely illogical. And there must be twenty similar things I hit daily.

I'm not anti Windows 8 - I'm using it right now to type this and even have a touchscreen for the full Metro experience - but it does feel that design got in the way of the engineering and that the design side went for shiny over usability.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 10-Apr-14 16:59:50
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Something as well, as far as I recall there is no manual for the windows 8 interface, It seems the way it works having to move mouse to corners etc. has all spread by word of mouth, via youtube etc.

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Apr-14 12:27:09
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

It'll probably be sorted in W9. Bit like Vista to W7. Vista was very flaky for myself but hardly any issues with W7.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 11-Apr-14 14:08:46
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/windows/3511340/...

The next release will move even further away from the touch-first approach, allowing users to run those full-screen apps in windowed mode on the desktop. Itís a logical move, as anyone whoís been forced to run apps full-screen on a 27in monitor will tell you, but itís also one nail in the coffin of that much-maligned Start screen. Combined (at last!) with the reintroduction of the Start menu Ė and one that neatly combines the Windows 7 text style with a Windows 8 tiled app section, like a mini Start screen Ė and you almost have an admission from Microsoft that forcing people into a brash new interface they hadnít asked for was a colossal misstep.

And following on from BB66's last post, many will now be wondering if Win10 will be a 'tick', rather than a 'tock', and will it flop on that basis..."Vista...Win 8...no, not three in a row for me" ?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to