Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User matty_hunt
(committed) Thu 17-Apr-14 03:20:49
Print Post

Cleaning up pc with multiple users

[link to this post]

Hi. This might be an obvious question for some so any help appreciated. My mate has a slow pc. Im trying to clean it up for him but his family has six different user accounts on it. Im only used to myself on my machine. I am going to run Ccleaner and Malewarebytes anti-malware, on the admin account. Will this clean every users account?

I have upgraded Vista to windows 7 with an improvement in WEI.
Vista - Window 7
5.9 - 7.1
4.8 - 7.1
2.1 - 5.2
3.2 - 5.9
5.9 - 5.9

Using windows defrag, it says 0% fragments. Can this be right, after an update plus some other software I have put on? 449gb used on 1Tb drive.
Intel core 2 quad Q6700 @ 2.67Ghz
3gb ram
WD Blue 1tb HD 64mb
Nvidia Gforce 9500 GS

Running AVG free 2014

Anything else I should be doing?
Many thanks
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Apr-14 08:18:02
Print Post

Re: Cleaning up pc with multiple users

[re: matty_hunt] [link to this post]

Do a scan disk too.
Anti-virus check (full system)
Check for any toolbar extensions
Check start-up programs
Check memory (could do with some more too!)
Lastest drivers for everything

I dont know what CCleaner would do either - I've never tried it with multiple accounts either. I think it would clear just the current account.

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Apr-14 08:42:07
Print Post

CCleaner Help is your friend.
Does it clean all the user accounts on the computer?

At the moment CCleaner supports cleaning the current user's account only.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Apr-14 09:43:21
Print Post

Just an aside, your WEI hasn't technically improved. They just changed the way they calculate it and the maximum score it is out of - your PC will still be running at similar real world comparitive speeds (you may get some small gains from Win 7 but not that much).

Has the machine actually got 3GB of RAM or is that what Windows is reporting? It may well have 4GB actual physical RAM but 32 bit Windows can't address it all. The proc can handle 64bit so if the machine does have more than 3GB of RAM it may actually see a performance improvement by going to 64bit version of Win 7 (but it may not or may be neglible). Also, some old apps may not work on 64bit.

The big thing for me is that I hate doing in-place upgrades of OS. Going from Vista to Win 7 is likely to leave a whole load of junk behind in registry and on disk that could continue to stop the system performing at its best. A clean install is generally preferable but the amount of work to get back the data, accounts, etc is probably beyond what you want to do as part of this favour.

Finally, a good look through add/remove programs might identify some junk that is just not needed (multiple instances of Java, junkware, apps added by the hardware provider that no-one ever actually uses, toolbars installed as a byproduct of other software installs, etc) - but need to be careful and not remove something that the users actually do use.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 17-Apr-14 10:02:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by matty_hunt:
I have upgraded Vista to windows 7 with an improvement in WEI.
Vista - Window 7
5.9 - 7.1
4.8 - 7.1
2.1 - 5.2
3.2 - 5.9
5.9 - 5.9

Vista and Win7 WEI scores are on different scales no point in comparing. Best used as a tool to see the slowest score for hardware upgrades.

CCleaner will clean every user. It might require running on every login, or installation at admin (run as admin) level.

Anti-malware software? What for? If your system is slow, there is no reason to believe that malware is present. The added software will add to the slower system, if it is 'always on'. Popups, unsolicited network activity and so on would be more symptomatic, but with Windows, there are so many automated and scheduled tasks, that the average user wouldn't recognise malware from a scheduled sync of updates. If there is malware, more likely the system would have slowed noticeably in a short time.

Using CCleaner, go to 'tools' then 'startup' and see the list of processes enabled. I have 6 out of 43 enabled, and one of those is purely aesthetic. I guarantee that a third or more of the processes in that list can be disabled and your CPU and RAM will thank you for it.

There's a 'save to text' option too. If you like, PM me the list, and I'll chase down the worst offenders for you.
Standard User matty_hunt
(committed) Fri 18-Apr-14 03:52:30
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Many thanks indeed. Have sent you a list. Cheers.
Standard User matty_hunt
(committed) Fri 18-Apr-14 03:56:38
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks for advice. It does only have 3gb ram installed. If it were my machine then yes, I would have done a clean install but on someone else's pc, with six users and all sorts of programs, Im not risking it. I didn't know about WEI. Got excited when figures went up as had read that vista was poor OS.
Cheers
Standard User matty_hunt
(committed) Fri 18-Apr-14 04:02:59
Print Post

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

Many thanks for the advice. I thought windows update checked for drivers as it occasionally lists a new nvidia driver. Downloaded DriverMax and picked up 14 updates. Put it on my laptop too and got 27!
Also did a defrag with Defraggler. First run and the disc free space dropped from 449Gb to 341Gb. Ran it again, slight change. Ran a third time and free space has increased to 629Gb ! Hoping it hasnt deleted somehow 180Gb of data!! Whats going on?

Cheers
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Apr-14 11:15:23
Print Post

Never used Draggler, so wouldn't know why disk space increased so much - unless it has a really efficient system of degragging!

Best to do a scan disk, just in case the hard drive is failing.

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 18-Apr-14 13:54:38
Print Post

It's working. wink

(Return PM pending).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to