Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Apr-14 10:31:32
Print Post

Win 8.1 network issue causing poor throughput?

[link to this post]

Happy Easter All!

I have two Windows 8.1 computers: a laptop bought with Win 8.1 installed and a desktop shipped with Win 8 and subsequently upgraded to Win 8.1. The desktop is the higher spec system. It has one fault. Internet is slow. I download between 4 and 10 mbps whereas downloads to the laptop are right up to 15 mbps.

I donít need to share files, settings, media, or hardware devices. All I need are a couple of free standing computers.

Iíve been reading up on the issue for several days, adjusting bandwidth hungry apps and settings. Downloads to the desktop are pitiful. I canít blame the wireless card; itís the same using an Ethernet connection. The computer has been scanned for viruses and malware and scanned again online. Itís clean. The only difference between the two computers that I can see is this:

ē When I click on the Network icon on the laptop it shows an icon with the laptop name and an icon for my router.
ē When I click on the Network icon on the problematic desktop it shows and icon with both PC names, one for the router, and an icon with the same name as my PC that is identified as a CyberLink Media Server

EDIT: Above bullet points. I did not set out to have two computers communicating via a Windows Network. I have not set up a Homegroup, for example. However, there must be some chatter between the two systems. Iíve just clicked the Network icon on the laptop. I now see the names of both systems, the router icon plus a CyberLink Media Server icon with the name of the desktop PC. The laptop continues to download at speeds up to profile. Not so the desktop.... Reading taken at 12.50 pm

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Any ideas?

Edited by ARD (Sun 20-Apr-14 12:51:33)

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Apr-14 13:11:40
Print Post

Re: Win 8.1 network issue causing poor throughput?

[re: ARD] [link to this post]

Security software?

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Apr-14 14:25:57
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

No. I switched it off for test purposes but it made no difference. Furthermore, I have the same security software on both Win 8.1 computers. Iím beginning to think it might be the Broadcom wireless card in the desktop. I connected via Ethernet again and speeds returned to my norm. I canít be certain, though, because I tried Ethernet when I started troubleshooting and it made not a blind bit of difference. frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Apr-14 15:25:45
Print Post

More tests with ethernet needed I would say.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13914...
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Apr-14 15:30:55
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

I'll certainly be testing again when connected via Ethernet. Please take a look at my more recent post. (I'm not cross-posting just shifting the issue between software and hardware):

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/multiuser/t/4323372...
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Apr-14 15:41:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by ARD:
I'll certainly be testing again when connected via Ethernet. Please take a look at my more recent post. (I'm not cross-posting just shifting the issue between software and hardware):

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/multiuser/t/4323372...

Might be worth asking people to direct the replies here smile

But by coincidence I have suggested the same as Banger.....
It may be sensible to try the Ethernet test once again just to completely narrow it down to the wireless, as you don't seem 100% sure..

Assuming it is the wireless, the first thing I would do is try changing the wireless channel on the router, followed then by the settings in device manager for the wifi adapter, and then after that try lowering the wireless security on the router (or just removing any security temporarily) to see if that makes any difference.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Apr-14 15:43:33
Print Post

Iíve run another Ethernet test and the speed is normal for my profile. But hereís something very odd. The BT Performance tester gives my download as 00.00. Zero! This is irrespective of whether Iím using the Broadcom wireless adapter or the Realtek network card. What on earth?
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Apr-14 15:48:28
Print Post

Wouldn't worry about the BT performance tester it is a waste of space.

So, we've established wireless is definitely the source of the slow performance. So maybe try the things suggested in my quote. Shouldn't take too long... Also try another internet browser.

Also, file transfer between PCs is a wiser way to measure local throughput first, if you can't do that, I would advise the tbb download test files rather than the speedtest pages. More accurate.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Apr-14 16:02:36
Print Post

The BTPT is a worry when there is a line issue.

Chrome, Opera, and IE- same result.

I use the Zen test files.

Trying a few more alternatives anyway. I really don't want to return an otherwise great PC.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Apr-14 12:41:06
Print Post

On my W7 laptop, if the Ethernet is plugged in after the wireless is on the wireless takes precedent. I have to switch the wireless off manually in order that the Ethernet is the one that the laptop uses.

Maybe 8.1 is similar.

I know this is not helping your issue but it might explain the wirless/ethernet problem.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
  Print Thread

Jump to