Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Apr-14 23:09:35
Print Post

Google and location

[link to this post]

This strange issue i had a few month back, which has now been sorted after i contacted Google. However still confuses me to why this happened

I went on holiday in Feb to Kuusamo in Finland. I had my phone with me, used Google a few times but was never signed into it unless you count Google Play. Few week after i got back i noticed all Google searches were getting redirected to .fi which is the Finnish Google. This was happening on all devices (phone, pc, ps3 and my TV browser). What was weird is according to the login history of Gmail, when i logged in from home it was saying my location was Kuusamo, Finland. It was my home IP address however. All other location specific websites had me in the UK.

What i dont get is why Google thought i was in Finland in the 1st place? I know i used my phone when in Finland, but i didnt use my PC, TV, PS3 etc yet even when not logged into Google they were redirecting to Google Finland. I cleared cookies, history, everything but still the same. I contacted Google to tell them and then it fixed itself a few days later. Very strange issue tho
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Apr-14 12:31:47
Print Post

Re: Google and location

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Surely when on Play you must have signed-in?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Apr-14 16:23:08
Print Post

Re: Google and location

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

I was but that doesn't explain why other devices I didn't take abroad and wasn't signed into had my location as Finland

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to