Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User samulam
(committed) Wed 23-Apr-14 17:19:39
Print Post

IE stopped working

[link to this post]

After clicking on an address of a webpage address on FT paper came to me via an email my desktop IE stopped working.I got : " IE stopped working. a problem caused the program to stop working correctly" After searching, the best option was to scan( sfc/scannow).
However, after the scan, I get the following message: Windows restore protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in CBS.log windir\logs\cbs\cbs.log. . For example c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log
No solution is offered on how to proceed to solve the problem. I tried to restore the system to an earlies date which succeded, alas the fault remains. At the moment I can use the IE/ main/metro style, but I cannot usethe desktop vesrsion. Perhaps I should wait till IE 12 arrives. My PC has the latest win ver 8.1 and microsoft security essentials and I have not installed any applications lately.Any ideas please?
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Apr-14 17:35:04
Print Post

Re: IE stopped working

[re: samulam] [link to this post]

You my have hit a drive-by virus that has corrupted your system files or you may have a genuine hard disk error in which case you could try running CHKDSK. Here's how to do it for Windows 8. Does your PC have a solid-state disk?

'Sir, please,' she said... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn

Edited by micksharpe (Wed 23-Apr-14 17:36:15)

Standard User samulam
(committed) Wed 23-Apr-14 18:14:01
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Many thanks for your help. I doubt if the fault was caused by a virus. The web address I clicked was an FT paper article. The websites I visited were BBC etc. The annoying thing is the command: sfc/scnnow, tells me that there are corrupt files located in windows\ logs, but it does not tell me how to delete them or how to identify them. I have seen on some suggestions that one can copy clean files from a different machine to replace the corrupt ones, and I have a laptop with identical win 8.1 ver!!.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User samulam
(committed) Thu 24-Apr-14 12:32:38
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

I am pleased to report that the fault has vanished! I put the PC in safe mode to see if the fault is still there. When I clicked on the IE icon, it said that no connection. I went back to normal mode and hey presto my IE icon works again.
I was on the verge of paying technical assistance on line.
  Print Thread

Jump to