Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 26-Apr-14 09:38:55
Print Post

HP Connected Music?

[link to this post]

My wife has an HP Envy laptop. She needs to save voice recordings from an Olympus digital recorder onto the Envy's hard disk but every time she does this the sound file is saved in 'HP Connected' format, which seems to add a few megabytes to the size. This is very inconvenient as the files sometimes need to be emailed on to someone else. The original recordings are MP3 and about 9MB on average (according to the Olympus) but morph into 12-15MB when saved in the new format. Apart from deleting the HP program completely, is there a way of bypassing it? Needless to say, it came pre-installed.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
HP Pavilion netbook Win8 6GB RAM
IE11 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
(Virgin 100Mbs as backup)
Standard User Mikey2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Apr-14 15:47:22
Print Post

Re: HP Connected Music?

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

The HP programme is probably set a the default for the type of file your your wife is transferring to the laptop. Type associations into your search box then change the default programme from the HP one to whatever you want to use to save the transferred files as mp3s.

Second thought. I don't know about the Olympus dr, however, is she using the HP programme to transfer and save the files. If so why not just drag the files from the recorder to whatever folder she uses to store them on her laptop (I'm assuming you can see where they are stored on the dr on her laptop).

Mike
If you have to swallow a frog, try not to think about it. If you have to swallow two frogs, don't swallow the smaller one first.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Apr-14 04:09:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by GeoffB:
the sound file is saved in 'HP Connected' format
What are you using to save it? Can't you just copy it as is?

What is the file extension of 'HP Connected' format, in place of '.MP3'?

Or do you just mean when you click on the file it opens in the HP Connected Music app? In which case you need to change the default program associated with .MP3 in Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Associations

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Apr-14 11:18:59
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks, chaps. Yes, I have changed the file association and can open the files in WMP. But if I drag the MP3 file from the recorder to the laptop it changes to an HP file and adds a couple of MB. I think that the HP program must be set up to convert sound files automatically for playing in its own software, so I'll delve into the settings menus today.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
HP Pavilion netbook Win8 6GB RAM
IE11 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
(Virgin 100Mbs as backup)
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 27-Apr-14 11:24:50
Print Post

Meridian Audio, experts in audio technology for 35 years, bring you HP Connected Music powered by Meridian.

Meridian's award-winning team has developed HP Connected Music powered by Meridian, the preferred music management application for select HP consumer PCs.
Meridian's Audio Research consultancy team has already won acclaim for its work, providing high quality audio solutions for clients including Dolby Laboratories, McLaren Automotive and Jaguar Land Rover.

This custom-built application, to be offered on select HP products, provides elements of the rich user experience from our Meridian Digital Media systems, allowing consumers to experience music downloads, streaming services and internet radio all in one convenient place.
Very impressive. Not.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Apr-14 20:53:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by GeoffB:
But if I drag the MP3 file from the recorder to the laptop it changes to an HP file and adds a couple of MB.
I copy .MP3 files onto a recent HP Win8.1 laptop with HP Connected Music installed from a USB or an email attachment and it changes nothing.

What is the file extension of the HP file it converts to?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User herbgold
(member) Mon 28-Apr-14 17:04:08
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Well, Meridian build good kit, but this just looks like total marketing guff.
  Print Thread

Jump to