Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User smiffy12
(experienced) Mon 12-May-14 09:29:53
Print Post

RS 232 serial port (9 pin) com issue

[link to this post]

Hi, I've a computer that talks though serial rs232 to a comms thing that lists all calls made. Had to wipe and reinstall XP (not connected to the net so not too fussed about support ending lol). After rebuilding the software, I can't talk through the serial port anymore. All drivers are I. And it should be working. I know that I can go through and change com ports one at a time until I find this as I think I must be listening on the wrong com port, but it's a lot of work to do to go through them one by one. Is there any way of finding out what com port I should be using to connect? The manufacturer of the comms kit went bust long ago so tech there isn't an option, aaaarrggh. Please can anyone help

Thanks to everyone for looking

Sandy
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-May-14 09:50:28
Print Post

Re: RS 232 serial port (9 pin) com issue

[re: smiffy12] [link to this post]

Control Panel > System > Device Manager will show you what COM ports Windows can see. Are you using a COM port on the motherboard or are you using a multi-port serial adapter? If the former, Windows should have the drivers installed providing that the ports are enabled in the BIOS. If the latter (and I suspect this is the case), then you will probably need to install specific drivers for the multi-port adapter, so you will need a driver disk. What make and model of adapter is it, and what type (ISA, PCI, PCIe)?

P.S. If the former, you should check the port configuration required. It may not be the standard 9600 bps, 8 data bits and no parity.

'Sir, please,' she said... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn

Edited by micksharpe (Mon 12-May-14 10:35:31)

Print Thread

Jump to