Right, I'm not sure if this is strictly speaking a h/w issue, but for the avoidance of cross-posting, I'm going to assume for the moment it's a Windows issue.
Some time ago, I was doing an online language course, that involved speaking into the microphone.
This worked fine at the time.
After a bit of a break from the course, I was tempted by a special offer to resubscribe. All my progress has been saved, so I should be able to resume where I left off.
But there's a problem. The web app no longer seems to recognize that I have the laptop's internal mic enabled.
When I resume the course, it explains that I should get a (Windows) popup asking me to grant access to the mic, and that if I want to use the mic, I should answer yes.
However, this popup does not appear.
The web app therefore only gives me the option of starting the lesson without the microphone.
I have checked via Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Sound>Recording Tab that the mic is enabled, and is also the default device. Yes to both. Also, when I speak, the level indicators respond, demonstrating it is "hearing" me (though they don't go up very far).
However, I think (possibly) being incorrectly calibrated is a separate problem from the one I'm having, which is that the presence of a working microphone does not seem to be acknowledged at all. I'm frustrated that this worked fine last time I did the course, and I can't understand what's changed - intentionally or accidentally.