Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 05-Aug-14 21:21:19
Print Post

Not really a problem, just curious...

[link to this post]

An application that had been open but idle for over 24 hours suddenly bombed out with a syntax error!

It was Family Tree Maker software, so not something that's doing a whole load of crunching in the background, while you get on with something else. Not dissimilar to just leaving a spreadsheet or Word document open.

It's not a big deal unless it becomes a regular occurrence and/or data is lost, but what would cause it to suddenly hit a syntax error after such a long time sitting doing nothing? I don't even have automatic web synchronisation enabled - which is an option. So it can't have hit a problem trying to sync. It somehow hit a syntax error while it was just idling, waiting for input? Doesn't seem to make sense. crazy

T.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 05-Aug-14 21:29:14
Print Post

Re: Not really a problem, just curious...

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

Probably a memory leak and it bombed out when it ran out of memory.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Aug-14 08:55:34
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Or a field overflow as some background timing counter clocked back round to zero

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 06-Aug-14 10:19:48
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Got a feeling I've left it idle for longer than that before - I'm not a "tidy desk" person, and exactly the same applies to my computer desktop - I often have several works-in-progress open at once - one or two not touched in a few days (yes, I do remember to save them! wink)

So it seemed odd that it can usually be left to its own devices indefinitely, but suddenly decided to throw a wobbly. It's not new or recently upgraded software either.
  Print Thread

Jump to