Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 27-Aug-14 12:40:16
Print Post

Gmail create event

[link to this post]

OK, not really a Windows issue specifically (though it might be I s'pose), but Gmail used to have the facility to create a calendar event out of an e-mail you'd received. Automatically, if it found identifiable date/time information in the e-mail itself, or manually, if it didn't - i.e. you could still add the e-mail to the calendar, but had to supply date & time info yourself, obviously.

I found this very useful. I attend webinars from time to time, in connection with certain hobbies and pastimes, and when the e-mail registration came through, I could simply stick it in the calendar, and set reminders to join the conference at the appropriate time. All the joining instructions would be there ready, in the calendar entry, because it would have attached the whole e-mail.

The option to create an event used to be on the "More" menu, when the e-mail was open.

So got an e-mail registration confirmation today, with joining instructions, went to stick it in the Gmail calendar - the option isn't there any more. frown

If I want to make a calendar event for it, it seems I have to painstakingly transcribe all the info by hand, now, and can't just stick the e-mail itself on the calendar.

Can't find anything on Google Help about the demise of this functionality, or whether it's still possible to do it another way. Was I the only person ever to use this? confused

T.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Aug-14 14:05:31
Print Post

Re: Gmail create event

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

I still get 'Create Event' on the More menu of GMail webmail, if that's what you are talking about. Even using IE8 which it doesn't like but works anyway.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 27-Aug-14 16:43:31
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yes, that is what I meant - it's no longer there for me!

I'll have to investigate further, whether it's just this particular mail, or certain mails, or just this browser (Chrome) or what. frown

Extremely annoying. There's no error message, or any sign that it was ever there. The drop-down looks in all other respects normal.

I wondered if I was imagining it had ever been possible. crazy

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Aug-14 17:05:57
Print Post

'Tis present in FF as well. Suspect Chrome?

Do you see only 6 More menu items?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 27-Aug-14 17:36:04
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

No, I've got a dozen options under "More" - just about anything you can think of you would ever want to do to a mail, except the one thing I do want to do: add it to the calendar.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Aug-14 18:46:36
Print Post

I'm using Windows 8.1 and FF 31 and there are seven options available to me when opening the "More" tab, they are:-

Mark as unread
Mark as important
Add to tasks
Add star
Create event
Filter messages like these
Mute

Were you able to "create event" when you first started using the Chrome browser?

plusnet user
Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 27-Aug-14 18:58:38
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Were you able to "create event" when you first started using the Chrome browser?
Yes, definitely. Chrome has always been my default browser on this computer, which is just over two years old. Although I don't create events that often - not as common as monthly, for example - I definitely would have created several within two years.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Aug-14 22:19:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by TLM:
No, I've got a dozen options under "More"
Funny! I have 7 'More's on both IE8 & FF under XP.

Has your Chrome been hijacked?

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Aug-14 22:54:47
Print Post

I wonder! GMail & Chrome are from the same stable. Could it be that Chrome recognises something special in the HTML pages from GMail and tailors the page displayed accordingly? Something other independent browsers do not respond to? Is that possible?

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Aug-14 13:57:50
Print Post

Have you added any extensions/add-ons or anything from Google Labs recently that might be conflicting with gmail?

I've noticed that the chrome browser can be reset to "default" if need be because of any issues:-
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=...

This problem seems to have occured before for some users:-
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/calen...

Might be a fix to be found on that forum or you could post your issue there?

plusnet user
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to