Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-Sep-14 11:45:17
Print Post

Outlook Express - Password Issue

[link to this post]

An elderly neighbour called me earlier with the problem that his Outlook Express email is rejecting his Password. He has not changed his Password and all other email settings are correct. He is with TalkTalk and in fact can access his email using the same Password with TalkTalk webmail.

I have tried deleting the password, then re-inputting it, makes no difference. Have also tried creating a second email account using same username/password etc, but a different a/c name, no difference.

Another user in the household can access their email on their pc via same Wi-Fi.

Where next?

Many thanks.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

Andrews & Arnold Data SIM
HUAWEI E5776
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 06-Sep-14 11:59:24
Print Post

Re: Outlook Express - Password Issue

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

I would double check the account settings in OE referring to TalkTalks latest documentation.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-Sep-14 14:41:49
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I tried both the 'old' and the 'new' server settings, neither worked. Yet the other pc in the house, again using Outlook Express, on a different email address, works fine.

I've experienced similar with my email over the years, but always 'got in' an attempt or so later on. That I had put down to congestion at the email server?

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

HUAWEI E5776

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 06-Sep-14 14:55:06
Print Post

Mail servers often respond with an error code and message to let you know what the problem is. I think you can see those best if you use telnet or putty.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-Sep-14 17:48:30
Print Post

Have any settings, say like for security changed. In addition, has anything in Internet Explorer been changed ? Have any port numbers been changed ?

Now with plusnet
Twitter

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Sat 06-Sep-14 17:49:06)

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-Sep-14 18:41:36
Print Post

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

My neighbour does not usually explore any settings, so hopefully unless there has been an unfortunate combination of finger problems, there should be no changes.

Re port numbers, initially the standard 110 for POP3 Incoming and 25 for SMTP Outgoing. I also tried Port 587 for SMTP as per TalkTalk's latest info. Still no go.

My next plan is to add his email account to the other pc in the house and see whether that connects. I will tick the leave messages on the server, so nothing will get lost (assuming it connects!).

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

HUAWEI E5776
Standard User rogerfp
(newbie) Sat 06-Sep-14 23:11:01
Print Post

The key information comes at the end of the error message in the form of an error number. Have you got the error number? If so either post it here or do a Google search for it and you should find an answer. Have you tried temporarily disabling the AnitiVirus software as sometimes this can cause.a problem?
  Print Thread

Jump to