Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Oct-14 09:12:20
Print Post

Outlook rule to delete spam from The Trading Floor

[link to this post]

I'm getting an increased number of emails from these cowboys. They're not directly from them but purport to be from other companies and say in the email body
You have received this email because you are a member of The Trading Floor.
We respect your privacy and only send emails to registered users - for more information see email footer.
Clearly a load of bovine excrement.

The emails automatically go into my Junk email folder, and I've set an Outlook rule to delete them, but it's not doing anything. The rule says
Apply this rule after the message arrives with 'The Trading Floor' in the body
delete it
and stop processing more rules
Even test running it on the Junk email folder it does nothing.

Any thoughts on what's wrong with the rule? Or is it the approach that's at fault?

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Oct-14 17:48:12
Print Post

Re: Outlook rule to delete spam from The Trading Floor

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

I think it is because Outlook applies its own junk filters before applying user defined rules. Like you I find it a pain it does it that way especially as you cannot search the junk folder.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Oct-14 17:59:46
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

During the rule set up or amendment it gives the option to Run now on a chosen folder, so choose the Junk email folder. It still doesn't work.

Move the offending emails to the Inbox and run the rule against the Inbox and it still doesn't work.

Something strange going on but I've currently no idea what.

Tony

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Oct-14 19:53:27
Print Post

It should work.
In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
The emails automatically go into my Junk email folder
Why? You don't have a rule for that? Is that Outlook's own spam filtering? Can't you switch it off?

Does it need 'and stop processing more rules'?

Perhaps the text has some hidden chars in it. Try 'Save As' the msg somewhere and inspect it with Notepad. Try just testing for 'Trading' for the mo'.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Oct-14 22:07:48
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Changed the text to Trading, removed 'stop processing more rules' and reran on Junk Email folder, nothing. Moved the emails to the Inbox and ran it against Inbox, nothing.

When the messages are in the Junk email folder all the formatting is removed and there doesn't look to be any hidden characters. Saving it and looking at it with HexEdit shows X00 between each character, but I'd guess that's because 2-byte encoding is being used rather than actual hidden characters.

Tony
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Oct-14 23:18:31
Print Post

You still haven't said why these things end up in Junk Folder?

Send yourself an innocuous email containing the phrase you are filtering, hope it isn't Junked by Outlook and see if that works. If it does you know its something to do with the Junkung.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Oct-14 09:54:28
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I have Outlook's junk email protection set to Low - Move the most obvious junk e-mail to the Junk e-mail folder.

I think there's an update that comes from MS every so often that updates some Outlook filter, not sure where that is to look at it, assuming it's in a file somewhere.

Tony
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Oct-14 10:34:09
Print Post

Something I have wondered about: Does moving mail to the Junk folder help MS maintain its Junk filtering more accurately rather than just a straight delete from the Inbox?

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Oct-14 11:45:30
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Isn't it a case of false positives? Lets you check whether you really want it.

(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Oct-14 11:46:01
Print Post

Replying to my OP for convenience.

I've found out that The Trading Floor is part of a group called Callcredit Information Group, they list 14 web sites that they have. One of these is noddle<dot>co<dot>uk.

Following a recommendation from a national broadsheet newspaper I registered with noddle for a free credit report. Thinking back, it's probably a few months after that I started to get emails from Trading Floor and associated organisations.

I'm now attempting to unsubscribe from noddle and all associated web sites. We'll see.

Tony
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to