Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 03-Dec-14 11:43:05
Print Post

Windows 8.1 testing and clean install using win 8.0 key

[link to this post]

Ok so microsoft have made it harder to test and clean install, Windows 7 could be installed with no key.

I have found a way to download the 8.1 ISO without a key from here.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-...

My 2 questions are.

1 - Is there a way to put 8.1 to test on my spare rig without activating with one of my retail keys? So basically is there some sort of trial key?
2 - When I decide to put this on my main PC and laptop for proper use, is there a way to clean install 8.1 using a 8.0 upgrade key? I dont want to do a messy upgrade process, my motto is clean install is always better.

I will probably google and find answers anyway but interested in people's experiences.

Thanks

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Dec-14 19:19:33
Print Post

Re: Windows 8.1 testing and clean install using win 8.0 key

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

The way to do it is make a USB key iso so you can edit the file ei.cfg in one of the folders on the USB key with.

[EditionID]
Professional
[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

This installs a fresh install of Windows 8.1 Update 1 (get the right ISO) without a key. Then after the install is complete go to Properties and change the product key to the Windows 8 key (as long as its a Pro key to match the above ei.cfg) and it will activate.

Google for the folder on the USB key to put ei.cfg in, I think it is source but not sure.

Done this a couple of times for fresh install of Win 8.1 Upd 1.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Enta
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 04-Dec-14 15:17:00
Print Post

Re: Windows 8.1 testing and clean install using win 8.0 key

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

yep I did this and confirm it works, great for testing thanks.

Also as I understand it I can use my win8.0 keys to activate post install just fine, they just cannot be used during the install process.

So the way to go is with custom iso install without key, and have option to activate with any 8 key after installation.

Sadly my testing hasnt got off to a great start, smooth scrolling isnt working in IE11, works fine in both win7 and win10.

Edited by Chrysalis (Thu 04-Dec-14 15:17:40)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to