Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Dec-14 09:22:46
Print Post

Power cuts

[link to this post]

Can a power cut harm a PC if its just idle?

Had one last night when i wasnt on the PC but the PC was on. I know if its writing stuff to disk then it can corrupt files, but can it do more permanent damage? Seems unless you buy a UPS not much else you can do to protect yourself

Edited by bobble_bob (Sat 20-Dec-14 09:23:12)

Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Sat 20-Dec-14 10:23:40
Print Post

Re: Power cuts

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

assuming disk is NTFS (default for XP onwards and is a Journaling file system), it isn't doing OS updates then you'll be very unlikely to have an issue with the operating system.

When the power comes back on and especially if it is erratic then hardware may fail if it is on way out - but you'd be unlucky and it would likely fail soon anyway.

I have switched running PCs off many a time - either by mistake or because it won't finish hibernating/shutting down (really must workout which app/driver kills it) and not had an issue on restart.

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Dec-14 14:33:55
Print Post

[re: Kenneth] [link to this post]

My Dad has a tendency to switch off the computer (at the power switch) before Windows itself has finished shutting down, and I do find a lot of programs (apps in particular), and the file allocation table does get corrupted - it got so bad a few months ago that Windows had to be re-installed.

Now with plusnet
Twitter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sat 20-Dec-14 19:19:24
Print Post

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrTAToad2:
My Dad has a tendency to switch off the computer (at the power switch) before Windows itself has finished shutting down, and I do find a lot of programs (apps in particular), and the file allocation table does get corrupted - it got so bad a few months ago that Windows had to be re-installed.
What version of Windows is it? It'd have to be pretty ancient to be installing itself onto a FAT file system. Every version of Windows from 2000 on formats the disk to NTFS. NTFS doesn't have a file allocation table and as another poster pointed out it's also a journalling file system so is very resilient to damage. Any partially complete transactions will be automatically rolled back on next boot up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS#Journaling

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sat 20-Dec-14 19:21:43)

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Dec-14 19:35:19
Print Post

Basically what Kenneth says. During a powercut there is more likely to be damage to the hardware than "damage" to the software. The OS can usually tolerate abrupt loss of power. There is more risk of a power surge (when the power goes off, or back on, or both) damaging some of the hardware.

This is still a very low risk though.

AAISP Home::1

Edited by Pipexer (Sat 20-Dec-14 19:35:31)

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Dec-14 19:37:30
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

I presume he meant to say the filesystem on the general rather than the file allocation table. Assuming does mean NTFS like you I do find that rather peculiar to hear that the OS needed to be reinstalled. As for applications, regardless of whether it is a journalling filesystem or not if they have been written in some clumsy manner they can still get corrupted quite easily.

AAISP Home::1
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Dec-14 23:43:05
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Its Windows 8.1 with, of course, NTFS. I do of course mean, the master file table.

Now with plusnet
Twitter

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Sat 20-Dec-14 23:45:51)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Dec-14 09:19:31
Print Post

that reminds me, I must get a UPS at some point, will have to wait now until I get back to work and earning some money.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
  Print Thread

Jump to