Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Dec-14 19:50:15
Print Post

Sending a fax from a Win 7 PC

[link to this post]

An elderly friend has the occasional need to send a fax to his brother in New Zealand who resolutely refuses to go on the Internet. Perhaps 2 to 4 times a year. His brother uses a public fax service in New Zealand and my friend currently uses something similar here.

He has a Win 7 PC broadband connected, he also has a multi-function printer which is capable of faxing (I think). When they move in the near future they'll likely go DECT for telephones and wireless cards for their desktop PCs as the study will be nowhere the single telephone point and they have no wish to run cables around the place. Speed will not be an issue as their internet requirements are pretty basic.

We've been over to them this afternoon and were talking about options to enable him to send a fax when they've moved. As far as I can see there are 4 (perhaps more) options:
  1. Continue as now and use a nearby public fax facility. Could become problematic as they get older and perhaps less mobile
  2. Either get a long telephone extension lead and connect the printer to it, or move the multi-function printer temporarily to by the telephone point, and send the fax - so far the printer has not been used to send a fax so this may be difficult as, increasingly, my friend's memory let's him down
  3. Subscribe to an on-line fax service and thus send the document to them who forward it to the destination telephone number. What's the cost of these? Are there free such services?
  4. Connect the PC to a modem, connect the modem to the telephone line and use Winfax. How does one so connect in a DECT environment?
Any thoughts?

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User dandnsmith
(experienced) Sat 27-Dec-14 08:16:06
Print Post

Re: Sending a fax from a Win 7 PC

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

2. could be a bit of a problem area - the lead to connect the printer for fax purposes has to be correct - not any old lead, as certain wires are necessary.
3. I doubt whether any such service is free. It's a long time since I investigated this, so I suggest google for resutlts.
4. where does DECT come into this? You need wires for fax.

Derek
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Sat 27-Dec-14 11:18:53
Print Post

[re: dandnsmith] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dandnsmith:
4. where does DECT come into this? You need wires for fax.
I was thinking along the lines of "is there anything that converts a telephone cable from the fax to a DECT signal, to the DECT base station, and hence to the telephone line". In other words avoids a long cable (assuming a suitable and long cable is available) from the fax machine to the telephone socket.

Edit: Just found this which might have the desired capability.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement

Edited by cheshire_man (Sat 27-Dec-14 11:22:47)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dsergeant
(member) Sat 27-Dec-14 17:07:12
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

3. http://www.fax1.com/ offers a cheap email to fax service (around $10c per page, you buy credit in $10 blocks which will last for ages. They also offer fax to email but that is much dearer.
Dave
  Print Thread

Jump to