Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Jan-15 20:05:51
Print Post

Readyboost

[link to this post]

I have just got myself a corsair 32gb usb drive and have nothing to put on it yet. It is the first drive that is fast enough for readyboost on my win 8.1 system.

Checking the configuration tab it says dont use, dedicate this device, or use this device with a slider set at 4096 mb. I have 4 gb of ram what is the best setting for readyboost?

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Enta
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Jan-15 20:58:52
Print Post

Re: Readyboost

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

I would prob suggest not turning it on.

AAISP Home::1
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Jan-15 20:59:57
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

No advantage?

Tim

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Jan-15 21:03:37
Print Post

I wouldn't have thought so, Windows 8.1 is quite happy with 4GB of RAM so giving it more gigabytes of not-so-fast memory probably won't yield any improvement. No harm in trying it, I guess.

AAISP Home::1
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Jan-15 08:42:27
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

EDIT : Deleted as whilst it looks useful the way it works actually isn't particularly

Edited by ian72 (Mon 12-Jan-15 08:45:51)

Standard User Nervous
(experienced) Thu 22-Jan-15 12:07:47
Print Post

"Readyboost" has nothing to do with amount or speed of RAM.

It is to do with HDD read/writes. "Readyboost" stores commonly accessed files on to flash drive and if windows can access from flash drive faster than it can from HDD it will do so. A little like a poor mans SSD

EDIT to add,

If you are going to use it "Dedicated" would be the best setting. Please remember modern HDD's are fast enough to beat a USB2 flash drive so only advantage would come if you have USB3 mother board and flash drive.

If a system uses an SSD "Readyboost" is disabled by windows.

Edited by Nervous (Thu 22-Jan-15 12:15:13)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Jan-15 13:18:15
Print Post

[re: Nervous] [link to this post]

Interestingly I had posted something similar. However, the Microsoft website says this about ReadyBoost:

ReadyBoost is designed to help when your PC's memory is running low. Low memory can make your computer sluggish because Windows, which needs a place to stash data, turns to the hard drive. Flash memory offers a speedier alternative.

That suggests it is only used as flash storage for the page files when memory is low. That isn't what I had thought it was but as that is what the MS website itself says then I can't really argue. MS link is here
Standard User Nervous
(experienced) Thu 22-Jan-15 14:51:01
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Yes, you're right about low memory but once again it's all about the HDD. If windows runs very low on RAM it uses a page file on the HDD it will also write to a flash drive used as a "Readyboost" drive.

The important thing to remember is that ALL data swapped from RAM is always written to the page file on the HDD and where possible to the flash drive and then recovered from the fastest or both. This gives the user the ability to disconnect the flash drive without interupting the system.

A good way to use "Readyboost" is to set up several flash drives as "Readyboost" drives as long as each one is plugged into a different hub.

Laptops, Notebooks that don't have SSD's can particularly benefit from "Readyboost" because of the slower nature of their HDD.

RAM plays a much smaller role nowadays because quantity of RAM is usually 4GB or more and the more RAM you have the less you need "Readyboost" because windows uses unused RAM as a cache which of course is faster than USB3 and any HDD.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 23-Jan-15 20:59:44
Print Post

[re: Nervous] [link to this post]

I tried it as a dedicated 32gb drive but no real speed up and windows decided only to use 4gb of the flash drive as a disk cache.

Tim
Standard User Nervous
(experienced) Sun 25-Jan-15 12:06:41
Print Post

It's the interpretation of faster that's the problem. "Readyboost" will make opening programs slightly smoother and faster but only slightly. SSD's Make computers boot up much faster and programs open faster and smoother but they don't significantly make the computer faster which of course will be limited by the hardware.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to