Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Jan-15 20:40:18
Print Post

Task Manager - have I gone crackers?

[link to this post]

I just went in to Task Manager on Win 8.1. Not long ago it was as I expect, with a number of pre-selected columns and the facility to add more and remove any not desired.

Amongst other features I used to want to see what was reading and writing to disc, and what was happening to instant and cumulative CPU usage, sorting on those columns. This way I was able to identify what was messing me up in whatever way.

It is now a noddy subset on a "prettier" screen, with a mere four fixed columns showing the rolling instantaneous CPU; RAM; Disk and Network activity.

Totally useless except for being able to end a process frown.

Or - have I somehow totally cocked something up?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Jan-15 20:42:11
Print Post

Re: Task Manager - have I gone crackers?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You are simply looking at the wrong tab, the conventional one is now called "Details".

AAISP Home::1
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Jan-15 20:47:19
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Nope. I'd already looked at that, and no facility to change the columns there either. Other than a description of each line it gives less than the (default) Processes tab.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 11-Jan-15 21:25:07
Print Post

Process Explorer perhaps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_Explorer#mediav...

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Sun 11-Jan-15 21:26:34)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Jan-15 22:13:28
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Ummm. Might be worth looking at, but I'd like confirmation that they have emasculated Task Manager and it isn't just that I've screwed it up.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Jan-15 22:36:51
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Cracked it!

In the Details tab you suggest, if I right click in the column names bar I get the familiar column selector! Job done. I'm sure it used to be in the main menu>submenus.

I'd already tried it in the Processes tab before creating this thread. Didn't think to do it in Details.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Jan-15 00:13:52
Print Post

Just had a look at the detail tab, right click on the column header and there is quite a choice of columns available.

Details Tab > Select Columns > Choose dialog

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Enta
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 12-Jan-15 00:28:50
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Thanks smile. But my last post before yours is about me finding that. Otherwise it would have been just what I wanted to know, so it is a genuine "Thanks".

Print Thread

Jump to