Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User spranglebolt
(member) Thu 15-Jan-15 12:37:03
Print Post

duff updates?

[link to this post]

Whilst googlechrome and everything else is working as normal, I find I can't get into IE this morning.

Just seems to hang on the IE loading screen.

A check reveals a whole raft of Windows updates overnight:- KBs 3004365, 3019215,3021674, 3022777,3023266.

Also two listed as yesterday:- KBs 3019978, 3024663.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Thoughts please?

[Running Win8.1]
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 15-Jan-15 12:45:47
Print Post

Re: duff updates?

[re: spranglebolt] [link to this post]

I have all seven of those all dated 14/1/15. IE11 on Win 8.1. No problem here. Have you tried a hard reboot?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 15-Jan-15 12:46:26)

(member) Thu 15-Jan-15 14:48:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks! Roberto.

I had only tried a restart but then, as you suggested (I think), did a shut down and, following a break, powered up again. Same prob.

Websites such as bbc.co.uk that, for historical reasons, have been accessed from IE through the start screen won't load. Just get that IE screen. Don't seem to matter how long I leave it. Weird!

However if I enter via googlechrome, they load instantly.

I usually power down overnight. Last night, for the first time in yonks, it gave me the option of updating before (automatically) powering down - which I did.

Would you suggest uninstalling the KBs listed?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 15-Jan-15 15:38:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by spranglebolt:
Would you suggest uninstalling the KBs listed?
It isn't something I'd do until a few others have made suggestions. I'm trying to think what I would do!

Edit - Ah! Just realised a difference between us, in that I have my machine set to boot to the Desktop, not the Start screen - which I rarely go to. I can't abide the way IE works that way.

However, I've just gone to the Start screen and loaded IE with no trouble, and gone to a site. I shan't set to boot to it, just in case!

Another thought - have you thought of invoking Safe mode during boot-up? I've known that cure weird happenings once it is running, simply by doing a Restart from it. You could even try invoking IE from it, but I expect would get the Desktop version.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 15-Jan-15 15:45:45)

(member) Thu 15-Jan-15 18:30:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Curiouser and curiouser.

I find I can get into Kaspersky and Malwarebytes from both Start and desktop, but I believe that could be because they go via my much preferred GoogleChrome.

Another answer might be, therefore, to kick IE into the long grass?
(member) Thu 15-Jan-15 21:45:22
Print Post

All the security updates I listed are shown as successfully installed - on 14/01.

I guess that the reason some had said 15/01 was because they needed a reboot?

Haven't a clue what's occurring here or what to do about it..
  Print Thread

Jump to