Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 23-Jan-15 01:08:21
Print Post

Windows 10

[link to this post]

Rumour has it in several online magazines that Win 10 will be a free upgrade for Win 7/8.1 users initially. Thoughts?

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Enta
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 23-Jan-15 01:23:23
Print Post

Re: Windows 10

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Do you mean will it be true, or do you mean what are our thoughts on "upgrading" to it?

Yes it's true, for the first 12 months. Don't know about afterwards.

Thoughts? I know very little about it so far except they say the user experience will be the same on all devices.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 23-Jan-15 09:10:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

There are some disagreements as to what exactly this means.

Most people agree this means if you upgrade in the first 12 months then you will get Win 10 for free permanently.

Some have read it as Win 10 being free for the first 12 months (as a trial) and then would have to be paid for, perhaps by subscription, after that. This is the way MS are moving but most agree that the first reading is probably correct.

The other thing they are saying is that OS upgrades would be free for the lifetime of the device. But, no definition of what "lifetime of device" means, nothing to say if this includes "major" upgrades (like Win 11+) and doesn't say whether this is for new purchases or includes the free upgrades to Win 10.

I bought a new TomTom last year which has "free map updates and traffic services for the lifetime of the device". In the Ts&Cs though it is pretty clear it is them that decide what that lifetime is and they can actually remove support at any point they wish. Only time will tell how good an offer this is.

Anyway, Win 10 is looking fairly good so I think I will be upgrading all of my windows machines in the first 12 months.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 23-Jan-15 10:22:55
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The first I heard of this was a friend telling me they were moving to free OS because all others are. I assume OS bundling still doesn't happen in the US, but maybe things have changed. The 12 months could be a trial period for them to assess the effect.

I agree on other software they are moving to a subscription model. That's the way of the world for many things now. Such as car "purchase" in the UK.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Jan-15 10:25:56
Print Post

I took "Free for the lifetime of the device" as being equivalent to an OEM license so upgrades of motherboard etc. wouldn't be possible.
If this is the case I certainly won't be upgrading my full Win 7 license
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 23-Jan-15 10:32:13
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oldjim:
I took "Free for the lifetime of the device" as being equivalent to an OEM license so upgrades of motherboard etc. wouldn't be possible.
If this is the case I certainly won't be upgrading my full Win 7 license

Again, there is some interpretation here. The "upgrades" are free for the lifetime of the device. So, it could be that you own a full version of Win 7 and for the life of the device it is on you get free upgrades. Now, once the device lifetime is ended then it reverts to a perpetual Win 7 (in which case you have lost nothing).

That is a way to read it. Until MS give a lot more details of the license conditions though it is ambiguous and conjecture.
Standard User IanBB
(member) Fri 23-Jan-15 11:57:46
Print Post

The Windows 10 FAQ confirms your statement Ian in that if you upgrade in the 1st 12 months it is free permanently.
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Jan-15 12:19:17
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

Even if the question is truncated, it says How much will Windows 10?

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User IanBB
(member) Fri 23-Jan-15 12:26:34
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Read on and it says Wow, thats cool, but does that mean, I will have to pay for Windows 10 after the first year?

No. Its a promotion to get as many users to upgrade their existing Windows 7 PCs and Windows 8.1 devices to Windows 10.
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Jan-15 12:37:43
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

I did read on, and I repeat that the question at the head of that paragraph omits the word 'cost'. Yes, it's a typo, but that doesn't negate my post.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to