Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Tue 24-Feb-15 20:33:00
Print Post

XP PROBLEMS

[link to this post]

Rather unusual problem.

Helping neighbour with elderly computer. Has a reasonable spec. for XP. ASUS M.B.

Intel Core 2 2.1 GHz CPU 2 GB RAM.

Boots up normal, but looks and is best described as if only half the system is functioning. No icons on desktop, all the built in games are ok, Chrome browser will not load, Control panel appears. No network connections. Now the odd behaviour completely changes after approx 10-15 mins. After this time there is some H/D activity and the system is then fully operational.

I have noticed that booting into SAFEMODE everything is functioning immediately.

And to further add to my confusion, I fitted a spare H/D and installed XP. this clean copy also displays similar behaviour.

I tried a new power supply, this made no difference.

Any help with my confusion will be very much appreciated.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 24-Feb-15 20:38:53
Print Post

Re: XP PROBLEMS

[re: Brunel] [link to this post]

Graphics driver

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Feb-15 20:39:08
Print Post

Sounds like malware, something is getting in the way of the startup process, timing out, and then after the 10-15 minutes explorer is allowed to start. Go into task manager as soon as it boots, try killing explorer.exe process if you see it, then, do file > run > explorer.exe and see if it starts up.

Would try running malwarebytes
superantispyware
run a proper scan with whatever AV product is installed - if not, use Sophos rescue scanner or something.

If you can get into control panel, see if anything has been installed recently, try removing it.

Could also try system restore.

AAISP Home::1

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Feb-15 20:40:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by Brunel:
And to further add to my confusion, I fitted a spare H/D and installed XP. this clean copy also displays similar behaviour.

In that case, no idea!

Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Tue 24-Feb-15 20:42:00
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I will try this. It appears to be running ok I can change resolution etc.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 24-Feb-15 21:25:17
Print Post

If something like an old HP printer that is no longer attached and switched on is involved that can cause exactly this, though I would expect that specific example to have caused trouble long ago. I have used many expletives in the past about it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 60.0/17.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Feb-15 22:02:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm not quite sure how a printer that is not connected to a computer can cause problems.

The mind boggles.

Standard User rogerfp
(learned) Tue 24-Feb-15 22:13:34
Print Post

If you've installed XP on another another HD and the problem is the same then it's not a software issue, but hardware. If it's OK in Safe Mode then I would be pretty sure its a graphics card fault, as in Safe Mode it just displays at basic VGA resolution. As soon as you start in normal mode and XP tries to ramp up the resolution the graphics card can't cope. Just try another graphics card.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 24-Feb-15 22:20:35
Print Post

Download CCleaner, boot into safemode and install it. It will give you the opportunity to clean out your system, but more importantly you can see a list of startup programs. I suggest you take a screendump or list them (by Private Message if that's more comfortable).

Generally if a system was working fine, some new program or browser add-on will be the culprit, especially anything new claiming that your system is infected etc. Get the startup list. Generally speaking, less than 50% of the startup programs and services on a (non-optimsed) system is actually needed.

If you're unfamiliar with CCleaner, search this forums for other examples, or ask others to recommend it.
Standard User rogerfp
(learned) Tue 24-Feb-15 22:22:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Don't think so as he has rebuilt XP on a new hard disk and the problem is the same. The only vague possibility on the original build in your scenario is residue junk software or drivers that HP install are affecting XP on startup. However the guy has eliminated that possibility. Unless the PC has developed AI and can sense an HP printer in the neighbourhood.!!!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to