Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Timalay
(experienced) Sun 08-Mar-15 18:51:50
Print Post

Internet Explorer 9 Vista problem

[link to this post]

Whenever I try to start Internet Explorer 9 on my Vista pc, I get the message 'Internet Explorer has stopped working - A problem cause the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available'.

Any idea on how to sort this.

NB: Before anybody start about using Internet Explorer, it's my parents that use it.

Edited by Timalay (Sun 08-Mar-15 18:53:49)

Standard User rogerfp
(regular) Sun 08-Mar-15 19:31:06
Print Post

Re: Internet Explorer 9 Vista problem

[re: Timalay] [link to this post]

Try uninstalling IE9 back to previous version, using standard add/remove process. It will be listed as an update, so make sure those are showing. Any problems doing this go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2579295 where there is a Fixit which can be downloaded. If you have no access due to IE crashing use the following steps to start the removal process:-

Log on to the computer by using an administrator account or an account that has administrative rights.
Close all Internet Explorer browser windows.
Click Start, type cmd in the Search box, and then click cmd under Programs.
Copy the following command:

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

Paste the command into the Command Prompt window, and then press Enter.
Restart the computer.

Next try IE and see if problem resolved, if so upgrade IE again.
Standard User Timalay
(experienced) Mon 09-Mar-15 08:54:26
Print Post

Re: Internet Explorer 9 Vista problem

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

Never mind, came home from work this morning to find my dad on it. Seems to have sorted itself out.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to