Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Mar-15 16:52:08
Print Post

WIN 8.1 "Automatic Maintenance"

[link to this post]

A strange anomaly which has only just started up on my PC.

My PC is set to run daily "Automatic Maintenance" daily @ 01:00 (complete with the ability to wake itself up).

No problem with that, except that it has now decided to run this at very frequent times during the day - & it doesn't simply run & complete - it stays in the Maintenance Mode (complete with warning messages) until I have to force a Stop.

So far, today, I've probably had to sort it out approx 8 times!

Regards,
John
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Mar-15 21:16:32
Print Post

Re: WIN 8.1 "Automatic Maintenance"

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

It does it when the PC is idle too...

How long as you letting it stay in "doing maintenance"? You might be best just leaving it and see what happens. It is possibly running a background consistency check on the OS files.

AAISP Home::1
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Mar-15 22:25:53
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

It us set to do this at 01:00 every day & the last few days have been the first time that I've seen the message (presumably it has usually finished whilst I'm still in the "land-of-nod"!), since I had this PC 17months ago.

The first time that I noticed it, I left it running for a further few hours.

Today I decided to terminate it - expecting it NOT to re-start until the next 01:00hrs - but it arbitrarily re-started itself - over & over again!

Try as much as I could, other than a generalised "maintenance-in-progress" message, I couldn't find out what particular activity that it was doing (i.e. which was creating the excessive delay).

I did try google, but there seemed to be nothing that covered the excessive/random re-starts!

Will see what happens tomorrow!

Regards,
John

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 09-Mar-15 22:47:37
Print Post

It says on one of the help screens, (but you can't copy from it and it doesn't have a view source option to copy from), that if it misses a maintenance run for any reason it will start it as soon as it can.

When it's running it should stop within 2 seconds of you starting to use the machine, then when you go idle it will start up again. Until it completes.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4 (interleaved)/15.6Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Mar-15 22:50:52
Print Post

Yeah if it is checking the Windows system files it can take quite a while, perhaps give it the full day tomorrow and see what happens, it does work at background priority so shouldn't cause too much interuption but will churn the HDD. It does it on the Windows Server 2012 R2 too.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Mar-15 09:37:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It says on one of the help screens, (but you can't copy from it and it doesn't have a view source option to copy from), that if it misses a maintenance run for any reason it will start it as soon as it can.

I can understand that, where the PC is totally switched off & it then attempts to start as soon as practical once the PC is turned on!

However, it DOES provide for the option to stop the current run &, IMHO, it is something entirely different for the PC to RE-Start the Maintenance at an arbitrary time.

Regards,
John
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Mar-15 09:41:42
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
perhaps give it the full day tomorrow

So far today, it hasn't randomly started!

NB:- It appears that it probably did start at 01:00hrs, but that it managed to complete its run before I checked up on it (it is showing a completion at 07:28)!

Regards,
John
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Mar-15 18:04:44
Print Post

Despite the fact that it "apparently" completed its scheduled run early this morning, it re-started off again on at least 2 occasions this afternoon - both times, with myself trying to prematurely stop it!

Regards,
John
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Mar-15 19:36:38
Print Post

Ditto, a few more times this evening!

Regards,
John
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Mar-15 19:43:53
Print Post

Mmm.. When it is doing this can you open up task manager and see what process is consuming the CPU? I am sure it will be doing something legitimate, but if you keep stopping it then it may never get chance to finish.

It will also defrag as part of auto maint. so if your volume is heavily fragmented it might be trying to deal with that...

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to