Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Garyilka
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Mar-15 10:48:41
Print Post

Windows 10 - PC Name

[link to this post]

I'm puzzled........

Been using Wndows 10 preview from day one on a 'spare' laptop - and have to say it looks promising.

However, the laptop 'name' is MikesLaptop and this always showed up as the name when looking at connected devices on my router and in the Network list within Windows.

I then set up a Windows Backup - whereupon the device name changed to WIN-3EJFOKVPR8A when looking at connected devices on my router (Netgear R8000 Nighthawk), although it remains as MikesLaptop in the Network list within Windows.

Have had a look around the registry but can't find anything untoward. Have also done a clean install - but W10 unfortunately keeps all the old settings, even when asked to keep nothing!! (It is, after all, work in progress). I've fed it back to MS but don't expect any response - and no amount of googling comes up with an answer.

Before I go mad and reformat the disk, then do a clean install - anyone out there playing with W10 that might have any ideas??
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 17-Mar-15 15:43:04
Print Post

Re: Windows 10 - PC Name

[re: Garyilka] [link to this post]

Could it be the name allocated to your machine at the remote backup site?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4 (interleaved)/15.6Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User Garyilka
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Mar-15 17:49:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I dont think so. I backed up to my NAS. That said, it could be that as it's logged in via my microsoft account. However the laptop logged in via the same MS account when it happily identified itself as MikesLaptop......

It's showing the correct PC name within the Windows system settings. I'm at a complete loss........

It's not overly important - I'd just like to know how to change it without doing a reformat of the disk and reinstallation of W10 (the only way a truly fresh install can be done at the moment with W10).

Edited by Garyilka (Tue 17-Mar-15 17:56:44)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Garyilka
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Mar-15 21:12:14
Print Post

[re: Garyilka] [link to this post]

Hmmm. Did a completely clean install and suddenly realised that the Laptop name MikesLaptop was shown on the router devices connected screen when wired with an Ethernet cable, but shows the other name when connected wirelessly. I'm thinking this has more to do with the router than W10, as the previous router (R7000) showed MikesLaptop regardless of connection type. This is a new router (R8000) which I only installed a couple of days ago. Time to contact Netgear methinks.......
  Print Thread

Jump to