Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Mar-15 09:36:10
Print Post

computer disconnecting from network

[link to this post]

I am using windows 8.1, but IO have the same problem with windows 10.
for some strange reason every now and again my computer disconnects from my network, the only way to get it back is to disable the network adaptor and re-enable.

this use to happen on my wireless network, which is why I decided to get a homeplug, but it still happens, so it is certainly not a driver problem. I turned off power management for the adaptor.
Getting annoying now and getting to the stage of me going back to Windows 7, i had far less hassle with that.l

Any ideas? Thanks

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Mar-15 09:42:10
Print Post

Re: computer disconnecting from network

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Do you have other computers connected and do they stay connected? I used to have this problem with the Homehub 5 and it was the router killing the connections. The fact it happens with 2 different versions of Windows and 2 different network card technologies suggests to me it could be router rather than PC.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Mar-15 16:30:32
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Yes, I think you could be right, it been happening for a while even with my old broadband provider and I did think it was them, But when I changed to Plusnet and the same thing happened, I knew it was something different.

It seems strange that disabling and enabling the network adaptor solves the problem for a while. The Ps3 is noramlly ok, but now and again it does seem to lose connection.

I have stuick the Plusnet router in line, good job I got a switch, other wise I be stuffed. I tried to update the old router, but made no difference, I reset it and changed the setting, made no difference.
If all is ok with the plusnet router I will use that until I get back into work and get a new router.

thanks for that anyway.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Mar-15 20:09:35
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Have you tried static IP addressing on the NIC?

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Mar-15 09:27:36
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
Have you tried static IP addressing on the NIC?

It is not the router as it just done the same thing using the Plusnet router.

I will try the static IP idea, I did have my old router set up to force my devices to use certain a address, but I will try your idea, cheers

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Mar-15 09:32:16
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

It seems like that have done the job, thanks for that, I should have thought of that in the first place.

i can now put the TP link back on.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
  Print Thread

Jump to