Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ConorMK
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-May-15 14:36:39
Print Post

Green or black screen when playing video

[link to this post]

My wife's laptop has an issue where if a video is played on youtube it comes up green and if its a video from our compact camera it is black. I have tried to upgrade the graphics card drivers but it fails to install and tried other players but nothing seems to work.

It is a windows 8.1 home edition laptop./

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Conor

There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation
BQM
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Sun 10-May-15 19:41:47
Print Post

Re: Green or black screen when playing video

[re: ConorMK] [link to this post]

As it's a laptop, you are very limited with what you can do, as to me it sounds like a video card fault, which of course it integral with the mobo.
Have you tried lowering the video resolution? If it improves the situation it probably is still a graphics cared issue where where it is struggling when the resolution is pushed. Other possibility is the screen itself, which you can test by connecting to an external monitor.
Only other real test, if you have a spare HD, is to do a basic build of Windows with all the appropriate drivers and then try out YouTube and the camera. If it is still is a problem, then it's a hardware fault.
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sun 10-May-15 19:49:25
Print Post

[re: ConorMK] [link to this post]

It looks like a common problem and is probably a driver issue. You could try turning off hardware acceleration as a work-around, but you'll probably need updated drivers to fix it properly. What machine is it and what browser are you using?

Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.--Ernest Hemingway

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ConorMK
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-May-15 21:03:37
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

The laptop is a HP Pavilion g6-2334sa. I am just running the HP software to see if there is an update for the GPU.

Conor

There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation
BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to