Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Mon 20-Jul-15 22:08:08
Print Post

Chrome - can't stay logged into LinkedIn

[link to this post]

Since a recent Chrome update, but also, coincidentally, a Norton 360 update with a changed look and feel, I've been unable to stay logged in to LinkedIn. I'm logged out literally as soon as I leave the page. I used to stay logged in indefinitely.

Suspecting a corrupted cookie, I dutifully searched for and removed any cookies with linkedin in the title, thus forcing LinkedIn to create them anew, which I hoped would solve the problem.

As expected, on my next visit to LinkedIn, it placed a whole load of replacement cookies on my machine.

But it hasn't fixed it. Revisiting just a minute later, I was once again logged out. frown
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 21-Jul-15 00:33:42
Print Post

Re: Chrome - can't stay logged into LinkedIn

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

Daft question first! I assume LinkedIn has a tck box to "Keep me logged in" or similar. Is it still set?

Assuming that isn't the cause, perhaps an option in the re-jigged Norton defaulting or the updated browser to reject tracking cookies?

Check your cookies before logging in, then again when logged in. See if you can spot the new one. See if it is still there after logging out.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 21-Jul-15 22:24:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Can't find such a tick-box anywhere (which is a fairly good clue that I've never meddled with it - if indeed there is one).

The default behaviour (at least in my experience) is you stay logged in unless you ask to log out - there is a button for the latter.

I found one of their own help pages which said a common reason for this problem is incorrect date and time settings on your computer. But they're not incorrect! It also said to clear cookies (tried that), and finally gave instructions to set LinkedIn as a trusted site in Chrome - which I did as well (even though I've never needed to in the past).

It still logs me out immediately on leaving the site.

I have to admit, I find the site pretty tiresome anyway - I don't use it to "sell myself", and I'm not terribly keen on people who do - there's only so much BS I can be bothered to read.

But it's gone from "mostly useless" to "almost completely useless", because it's not worth the nuisance of repeatedly signing in on the off-chance of some small thing that's not quite as dull, pretentious or irritating as the rest.

"John has spent seven years in the same job. Say congratulations to John!" Nooo, that's NOT an event.

"Sue has updated her skills: Microsoft Word." SHUT UP! We'll have people bragging they can read, next. mad

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User longedge
(committed) Wed 22-Jul-15 08:23:38
Print Post

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

I came to the same conclusions some years ago about 2 minutes after creating an account and having a look round. Several of my colleagues had accounts and pestered me to join. I've never looked at it (Linked In) again since that first day but I suppose there are millions who do find it useful in some way. I think I may still receive emails but they are 'blackholed' if I do.

|For me it's the same with Facebook, Twitter etc. etc. but I suspect that it may be me who is out of step with everyone else. Seems to me that they are all just another way of pushing advertising at me [/mrgrumpy].
  Print Thread

Jump to