Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 31-Jul-15 14:14:44
Print Post

Windows 10 Unboxing

[link to this post]

...or rather unloading perhaps...

I quite like Windows 10, although accessing apps is now a lot harder.

Installation went through okay, although there were a few areas where the user should be kept informed about the process, instead of getting just a blank screen. It took several hours.

After installation, I had to install NVidia drivers for Windows 10 - surprised it wasn't included in the updates (of which there were 2 and several app updates).

Graphically its quite nice - more of a Vista feel to it really.

Everything is smooth, although no faster than Windows 8, although I do need to defrag soon. Haven't tried Battlefield 4 or any other game yet though.

Edge is nice, although it looks like it wont accept plug-ins, so unfortunately you'll have to put up with adverts.

Cortana is a bit stupid - asked it for what the weather is like where I am, and it just kept coming up with a map of where it thought I was.

Windows Video player cant play FRAPS created files, so you would need something to play those if you need to before uploading (or editing). FRAPS does work, but it looks like you need to load it after the program you want to record, otherwise it will crash it.

Battlefield 4 doesn't support Edge, so you need something else. Its quite amusing if you select the "continue using Microsoft Edge" option: you get taken to a "Browser Not Supported" screen, which asks you to download a modern, secure browser smile So much for doing away with the need for Internet Explorer smile

You cant drag and drop a video for uploading to YouTube in Edge. It also slows down a lot when entering in a description whilst uploading.

The action centre is nice.

I have had the Store just hang during download of 7 apps... Fortunately, I managed to get it all going again.

4GB is too little for Windows 10 unfortunately - the amount of disk usage is quite amazing, so you would need at least 8GB as a minimum.

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 31-Jul-15 14:48:47
Print Post

Re: Windows 10 Unboxing

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrTAToad2:
4GB is too little for Windows 10 unfortunately - the amount of disk usage is quite amazing, so you would need at least 8GB as a minimum.

During my Installation it downloaded 2-off hidden directories, which used nearly 5GB, but then stated it need at least another 9GB (which I didn't have available), so it requested to use an external USB.

Having sorted that out, & then getting well past the 90+% loading mark, it simply stated that the Installation had failed - without any explanation!

Regards,
John
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 31-Jul-15 16:50:12
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

I did mean RAM smile

But I'm not surprised it wont really fit on a 4GB USB stick - it should give a good description though.

Now with plusnet
Twitter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Jul-15 17:47:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrTAToad2:
I did mean RAM smile

But I'm not surprised it wont really fit on a 4GB USB stick - it should give a good description though.

So what is the 3GB download all about?

plusnet user
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 31-Jul-15 19:57:21
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

I think that's the boot system and not the actual operating system

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 31-Jul-15 20:11:44
Print Post

I dont see anything good about edge unless you someone who likes dumbed down apps.

What were MS thinking. "ok lets copy chrome UI and have no features people will love it then".

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User greyposter
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Jul-15 20:54:39
Print Post

When my Win 10 arrives, would it be better to but Win 8 (I'm on 7)on before download ?

In wine there is wisdom,In beer there is freedom,In water there is bacteria

plusnet
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Aug-15 10:50:12
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Oh yes, Edge is far too simple, and can be very sluggish. It does work though (more or less), and its somewhat better than the IE app in Windows 8

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Aug-15 10:51:46
Print Post

[re: greyposter] [link to this post]

I don't see the point of going Win 7 -> Win 8 -> Win 10 - it is just asking for problems. Just install Windows 10 over Windows 7.

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User greyposter
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Aug-15 13:05:58
Print Post

Cheers, nice to know.

In wine there is wisdom,In beer there is freedom,In water there is bacteria

plusnet
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to