Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 09-Aug-15 17:02:05
Print Post

I wonder if it's called SP1 or SP2?

[link to this post]

I came here to tell you that the Sunday Times Driving magazine says today that a "more advanced version" of Windows 10 is coming in six months, "with, one would hope, no driver problems".

What do I see but Banger's post an hour ago saying "Windows 10 service release 1 is coming next week with lots of fixes".

It seems my caution and cynicism are well-founded. tongue

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57584/13846kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sun 09-Aug-15 17:14:42
Print Post

Re: I wonder if it's called SP1 or SP2?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I usually wait for SP2 before I buy any Microsoft product. Maybe this time I'll wait for SP4.

It's not the age... it's the mileage.
Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Aug-15 19:22:55
Print Post

It also said that the "free upgrade" was available for 12 months for Windows 7 and indefinitely for Windows 8
That last one is new to me

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 09-Aug-15 20:55:35
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

I saw that, and wondered if it meant for those who have already upgraded to W10 before it is released.

Note, it didn't give any source for the information. But they are rarely wrong.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Aug-15 21:22:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I came here to tell you that the Sunday Times Driving magazine says today that a "more advanced version" of Windows 10 is coming in six months, "with, one would hope, no driver problems".

What do I see but Banger's post an hour ago saying "Windows 10 service release 1 is coming next week with lots of fixes".

It seems my caution and cynicism are well-founded. tongue

Windows 10 was just pushed onto people incomplete, it is not ready by a long way, but Ms wanted it pushed out, ready or not and will sort out the problems as they go.
So now they want everyone to test their OS.

You can tell it is not complete, look at Edge for instance, you think IE is awful, Edge is worse. The start menu still have problems, It just becomes unresponsive now and again.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 09-Aug-15 21:41:04
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

The heading of the article is "Windows 10 wants you as a guinea pig". Sums things up really.

Another thing that might come in my lifetime is Microsoft's next OS. They just won't call it Windows.

I'd say five years at the most before the leaks start. A couple more before it gets more official. At some point the kernel or a layer close to it will not be up to the game. Maybe that's why they say no more Windows versions.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Aug-15 21:43:42
Print Post

You can still use windows feedback to report problems and they do read the reports.

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Sun 09-Aug-15 22:06:52
Print Post

I don't think that most understand the development of an operating system from inception to release. Obviously there is an Alpha version which is usually pretty buggy. Then along comes the Beta versions. There can be 1000's of these. Often a new Beta every day. Every reported problem is investigated and is determined to be either requiring investigation and a fix, or not worth bothering with. Even those that are fixed may of course cause more problems as a knock on effect. Eventually a Beta version is deemed to stable enough to be chosen as the "Gold" version or RTM (released To Manufacturing). This will still have multiple issues, but there is no way that an operating system will ever be perfect when it contains millions of lines of code. It would take years to perfect if even then. Add to this the 10's of thousands of companies producing software and hardware to be compatible with the OS, it's a wonder that it works as well as it does. The version of Windows 10 just released may be a beta from 2/3 months ago and new problems have since been found and worked on. That's why Service Packs an bug fixes are almost a daily occurrence. Anyone who expects a Operating System to run perfectly from day one is seriously misguided.
The only way that an operating system could be more stable is to use the Apple approach and only release 3rd party software through Microsoft after having been thoroughly tested for compatibility. But this would be an impossible task, even if it was deemed acceptable for Microsoft to have such overall control, which of course, would quite rightly, never be agreed to.

Edited by rogerfp (Sun 09-Aug-15 22:24:37)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 09-Aug-15 23:16:47
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rogerfp:
Even those that are fixed may of course cause more problems as a knock on effect.
Which is not the right way to develop any critical system, particularly an OS.

That approach is why so many major commercial IT systems fail after a few hundred million quid have been spent on them.

That is why any system built using OOP with inheritance, whether or not used in Windows 10 itself, has always been a disaster waiting to happen. The people using or inheriting OOP code become wholly unaware of how it works, and so wholly unaware of how their adaptation can screw thing a few levels of inheritance up the tree.

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sun 09-Aug-15 23:36:58
Print Post

"Punched cards in and line printer out" is the way to go. smile

... and never let programmers anywhere near the computer. wink

It's not the age... it's the mileage.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to